Question (Fresh Install) Windows 10 Severe Lag and Issues on New SSD

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Hey guys, long story short I bought a 1TB Samsung SSD for my desktop, installed windows 10 through USB on my brand new SSD, and the system is lagging like crazy. My issue is that every second or so, my entire desktop stutters, the mouse cursor freezes in place, and all video freezes + audio makes a really loud and annoying buzzing "glitch" sound.

This seemed to start the first time I tried installing the brand new Radeon drivers. I have uninstalled them with DDU (display driver uninstaller) and reinstalled different versions of the drivers several times already. This bug happens constantly, even while in safe mode, and even while in safe mode AFTER uninstalling all my drivers and restarting the system. I've updated, uninstalled and reinstalled my realtek HD audo drivers as well. It also happens whether I have one monitor plugged in or two. I have also tried updating the BIOS to the latest version, disabling my network devices, and disabling Cortana using the registry.

The problem seems to get much worse when playing any sort of sound effect, whether it's a desktop notification or a youtube video. This makes using my PC nearly impossible. I thought it could have something to do with my brand new SSD + OS doing some sort of "indexing" or downloading updates in the background, but in task manager performance tab everything seems normal. Please help.

My specs:
i7 3770
12gb RAM
Samsung 1TB SSD
R9 280x

Last edited:

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Samsung makes a nice software toolkit that can test your drive. I would start with that.

Downloaded it and ran a quick scan, everything is good. I'm doing the full scan now, but I don't expect it to find anything... this doesn't seem to me like an issue with the SSD. I believe it's a combination of either Windows 10 or my display drivers, and my hardware. I've had problems similar to this before, back when I upgraded to windows 10 initially.

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
12gb ram? mixing kit?
what the make and model of the psu?
check cpu/gpu temp?

This PC is a frankenbuild, it was originally a Dell XPS 8500 desktop... but it has been highly customized since. Strangely enough, I'm pretty sure the 12GB RAM is still factory. The PSU is a Corsair CX750M.

Current GPU temp: 31C
Current CPU temps: all between 50-55C

Edit: I guess for additional context I should say that this system is over 5 years old at this point. However, the SSD is brand new.

Edit again: just tried launching CS:GO, which I can normally play at 200fps on this machine... the screen/audio stuttering and lag gets WAYYYY worse when in a game. Even just the menu. This may be relevant information.

Last edited:

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Update - I just ran a program called LatencyMon, and got this interesting message...

CONCLUSION
_
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:34 (h🇲🇲ss) on all processors.

CPU SPEED
_
Reported CPU speed: 3396 MHz

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

maximizer39

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Okay so, I've narrowed it down I think. I THINK the problem is Realtek HD Audio driver doesn't like windows 10. After painstakingly uninstalling that driver, disabling my onboard sound in BIOS, then re-enabling it, somehow has fixed my problem. I believe my machine is using some sort of generic sound driver right now. I will report back if the problem returns, but I appreciate the help.