Fresh install Windows 10 SSD, SLOW

Aug 4, 2018
I recently installed a new SSD (Crucial MX500) into my windows 10 laptop. It was kind of slow with the original HDD it came with but even with the new SSD, it's still slow. It lags when browsing the web and it lags when you're typing in the windows search thing from the start menu. This is a fresh installment of windows 10 home (64bit), it just has the basic apps that came with windows 10.

I have an older windows 8 laptop that boots and runs faster than the windows 10.

Specs on the windows 10:
HP Laptop 15-bw0xx (bought 2017)
AMD A10-9620P APU (2.5 GHz)
Crucial MX500 500GB
1x 8GB DDR4 (1866 MHz)
benchmark

Specs on the windows 8:
Acer Aspire E1-431 (bought 2013)
Intel Pentium B960 (2.2 GHz)
Toshiba MQ01ABD050 500GB
2x 3G DDR3
benchmark

Solution
My guess is that you are having problems because you have single channel RAM used. The APUs really need 2 sticks of RAM to work at the right speed since both the CPU and GPU are fighting for the limited RAM bandwidth. Download CPU-Z and see what chipset you have. The google it to see if it is a good chipset (one that allows dual channel RAM) or a cheap one (single channel RAM only). One of the issues with the AMD A series laptops was a lot of companies used the cheap chipset designed for the Jaguar cores that only have single channel RAM. That caused a severe performance problem with the heavy equipment line of CPUs.

THartmann9374

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
Try to download your SSD's utility and run benchmark on this. If it's like around 500 MB/S then it's fast.

For example, my SSD is Samsung brand, so I download Samsung Magician and ran a benchmark.

Aug 4, 2018
I couldn't find a benchmark tool for Crucial so I ran CrystalMark instead
It looks like SSD is fine

PQSQFHa.png

My guess is that you are having problems because you have single channel RAM used. The APUs really need 2 sticks of RAM to work at the right speed since both the CPU and GPU are fighting for the limited RAM bandwidth. Download CPU-Z and see what chipset you have. The google it to see if it is a good chipset (one that allows dual channel RAM) or a cheap one (single channel RAM only). One of the issues with the AMD A series laptops was a lot of companies used the cheap chipset designed for the Jaguar cores that only have single channel RAM. That caused a severe performance problem with the heavy equipment line of CPUs.

Solution