Discussion Fresh install Windows 10 with a catch...

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
About 10 years ago I bought a Home version key for Windows 8. Then, a year or two later I upgraded to Windows 10 (when M$ offered it for free). Been running Windows 10 every since. This old PC still runs fine, but I want to do a fresh install on a new SSD.

Rather than install with my Windows 8 DVD then upgrade to 10, can I just start with a Windows 10 DVD and fresh install? I still have my Windows 8 key, but I used the following method to "find" my key on my old PC that's been upgraded to 10 from 8.

Using this website:
https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Windows-Product-Key

I was able to local my product key using #4, the registry method. It's not the same as the one I used when I first bought windows 8, so can I assume they changed the key when I upgraded? So if I use this new key should I be able to install windows 10 from DVD and skip the Windows 8 part?

Also, I could download windows 10 from M$ and install from USB if it's better to do it that way. Easier for me to just use the DVD if I can because I have it and I'll do the updating online anyway.

Thanks if you can help or offer advice.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can I used a windows 10 DVD to do a fresh install?
If your motherboard is the same as it as since that install, all you need to do is fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then make sure the drive you intend to install the OS is the only drive hooked to the platform, then install the OS in offline mode.

One precursor before installing the OS, at this moment of time is to see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

Chances are your installer is so old, that the update process might end up half baked, best have the latest installer which will have the latest updates on it.

Reactions: Muckster

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Can I used a windows 10 DVD to do a fresh install?
If your motherboard is the same as it as since that install, all you need to do is fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, then make sure the drive you intend to install the OS is the only drive hooked to the platform, then install the OS in offline mode.

Yes, same Main Board. Only the SSD is different and once I do the install it will be the only drive installed, except for the DVD player, if you call that a drive. I can do this in offline mode.

I should use the key I discovered in the registry then?

One precursor before installing the OS, at this moment of time is to see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

Well, I actually haven't had this old PC hooked up to the internet in over three months, and when I did have it running it gave me an update error. First time ever I had an update error in over 10 years.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.../e6473fa4-f2d4-42c3-b4be-266b43454306?page=31

Since then I bought a new PC. Is it really necessary to update the OS on the drive I'm about to throw away before installing it on a new drive?

Chances are your installer is so old, that the update process might end up half baked, best have the latest installer which will have the latest updates on it.

Okay, so you're saying don't use the DVD. Use the creation tool from M$ to create a bootable Win 10 USB, right?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
USAFREt,
can I get your opinion on....

1) do I need to update the OS on the old SSD before installing on the new? My hardware hasn't changed since my last M$ update.

2) Do you agree it's better to download win 10 from M$ and install on a USB instead of using the DVD?

USAFRet

Titan
USAFREt,
can I get your opinion on....

1) do I need to update the OS on the old SSD before installing on the new? My hardware hasn't changed since my last M$ update.

2) Do you agree it's better to download win 10 from M$ and install on a USB instead of using the DVD?
1. The old drive will be completely removed during this OS install. It is of no consequence.

2. I much prefer USB vs DVD. Blank USB, 8GB or larger.
And you REALLY want the latest (created today), vs whatever is on that ancient DVD.

Reactions: PEnns and Muckster
Your Win 8 key is no longer good for a Windows 10 install. But if Windows 10 has ever been activated on that machine before (excepting the new SSD) as a local account, then its "digital entitlement" credentials are stored in the cloud, and unless you've gone and moved those to some Microsoft account instead:

Do NOT enter a key. When installing, choose "I don't have a product key" and it should automatically activate itself after the first time you go online.

Your Windows 10 DVD is no good because only the last two builds can even be updated to the current build. Windowsupdate cannot update ancient builds to the latest, so you would have to download and run the media installer anyway (only from the desktop of your outdated build rather than booting from it)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/directly-clean-install-windows-10-without-upgrading

You have to get the file off your current working install of windows 10 but on the link I posted go down to

How to directly clean install Windows 10 without upgrading​

and follow the instructions to get your GenuineTicket.xml on your desktop. Old copy of Windows 10. You will need to save that GenuineTicket.xml onto a thumb drive and set aside.

Install your new fresh copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft onto your new SSD , and than again follow the instructions on where to relocate that GenuineTicket.xml file you made from your old copy of windows to deep within Windows on your new install and restart and your registered.

It's your already registered windows 10 ticket that being as your using same parts minus just a SSD upgrade you will be back up and running registered without needing to even connect to the internet.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I just haven't been able to get to this install yet, but I will in the next day or so. Just want to thank everyone for the help.

Following advice of this thread...
My intention is to download fresh Win10 to USB, install without key, offline. Go online, let it update to its full delight, then confirm it's a owned copy of windows.

Thanks in advance. :)

Generally speaking, Microsoft went easier on the rules several years ago so people that upgraded an older Windows to Windows 10, even an old OEM version, got to use their license permanently after an upgrade.
Yes. it makes no difference how Windows were obtained as long as it's same type, Home or pro. Just recently free upgrade from W7 and W8 was stopped and MS doesn't sell W10 any more but could be downloaded from their site.