[SOLVED] Fresh new build freezing after 5-10 minutes of use.

Feb 27, 2019
Hey all, thanks for anyone taking the time to read through my question. I'm sure the answer is obvious.

I've built a new computer recently, my first proper solo build.
A Gigabyte b450m DS3H motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and a a Radeon RX570. I have a Corsair TX650 powering it all. Everything has booted fine (although no motherboard beep. I haven't properly fiddled with the inside of a computer for about six years. Do they just not beep anymore?) and I generally get very good use out of the machine - for about ten or so minutes.

The computer will hard lock, and, if I leave it for long enough, cut to a black screen and produce strange graphical effects. Not good. As far as I can tell this does not occur in BIOS.

I'm paranoid at the moment that it's something to do with my CPU. Viewing temperatures with multiple programs, running the BurnInTest, or using any other CPU stress applications prompts the crash. However, the crash can also occur during regular use. My CPU idles in BIOS at around 30c and spikes up to 40-50 when running windows idle. I'm concerned about my thermal grease, as I had some difficulty seating the worst-designed-cooler ever, the stealth wraith. I'm able to reapply the thermal paste to see if it helps, but I've read lots online warning against doing that if possible.

If it's not the CPU, I have very little idea what else it may be. I'm running two brand new SSD's as well as an old HDD (should I try booting with only my boot drive installed?). I've reseated the RAM, double checked all my connectors and done my absolute best to create a good airflow. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this freeze?

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide to help figure this out. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
They don't 'beep' by default, no. There's usually no included speakers anymore. You can still add them if you wish, but things have migrated to LEDs for post codes/errors and, even boards that forgo LEDs don't typically include speakers.

Hard locks certainly sound temperature related, but graphics artifacting wouldn't be typical....

I'd reseat the cooler and ensure you have the latest BIOS installed.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They don't 'beep' by default, no. There's usually no included speakers anymore. You can still add them if you wish, but things have migrated to LEDs for post codes/errors and, even boards that forgo LEDs don't typically include speakers.

Hard locks certainly sound temperature related, but graphics artifacting wouldn't be typical....

Solution
Feb 27, 2019

Thanks for the insight - I'm going to reseat the cooler right now and see if it helps. Failing that, since I'd have to update the BIOS, I'd like to clarify my method. It's difficult to google for support on updating the BIOS as a lot of advice comes with a disclaimer that you shouldn't do it unless you absolutely need to.

So, let's say I reseat my cooler and the issue persists. I use the best method available for my motherboard (in my case, I believe I have support for Q-Flash) to install the latest BIOS from my manufacturers website. Since I have a B450M DS3H, I grab the "F4" version from this page. My BIOS reports that I'm running F2, and I'm just assuming I can update straight to F4, right? No need to go through F3? Any other steps I need to consider?

Sorry for the awkwardly worded question breaking down some rather simple instructions - I've dabbled with computer building before but generally avoid approaching these daunting "do not do this unless absolutely necessary you'll ruin your rig" tasks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, you can jump straight to F4.
Load onto USB drive, and boot into the Q-Flash environment and follow the prompts.

Typically, "if it ain't broke" but, when you have unexplained lock-ups, something is broke so it's worth attempting the update.
Provided you ensure you're using the correct file and you do not cut power to the system during the update, the chances of bricking the board are minimal

Feb 27, 2019
Thanks so much for the advice and taking the time out to reply. I've sorted out the crashing, though I believe that I've only made a temporary fix. It's hard to tell.

I'm sorry if I'm jumping from one problem to the next, but I'm assuming it's better than creating a new thread.

I've reseated the cooler, though it didn't actually make a difference to the crashing. What did, was turning off AMD's 'Cool 'n Quiet' setting in the BIOS. From some quick googling I had seen people lament this as a terrible problem-causer and lo-and-behold, the crashing stopped as soon as I turned it off. I'm still concerned about my temps, though. While the crashing no longer persists, my CPU still idles around 40c. I have it housed in a small case so I'm not actually that concerned about those temperatures - my ambient room temperature is rather high and I'm certain the idle temp will lower as summer passes.

What I am very concerned about is BurnInTest. Every single program I've used to view the temperature - HWMonitor, HWInfo, CPUFan, AMD's own Ryzen Master program - reports consistent temperatures. 40c idle, 55~c under load.
BurnInTest, when ran, reports that the CPU is frequently passing 90c, though no other program detects this spike.

Should I still be worried, despite my system not crashing? Speccy also reports unusually high temperatures, but I've read some negative stuff about Speccy and my CPU set up online, so I've disregarded those results. I've been using my computer for a few hours now without issue, and have even spent about an hour playing rather CPU-intensive games. I haven't encountered any issue, and the CPU certainly hasn't melted, but it won't stop me from being paranoid.

LUCKY7SON

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Hey all, thanks for anyone taking the time to read through my question. I'm sure the answer is obvious.

I've built a new computer recently, my first proper solo build.
A Gigabyte b450m DS3H motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and a a Radeon RX570. I have a Corsair TX650 powering it all. Everything has booted fine (although no motherboard beep. I haven't properly fiddled with the inside of a computer for about six years. Do they just not beep anymore?) and I generally get very good use out of the machine - for about ten or so minutes.

The computer will hard lock, and, if I leave it for long enough, cut to a black screen and produce strange graphical effects. Not good. As far as I can tell this does not occur in BIOS.

I'm paranoid at the moment that it's something to do with my CPU. Viewing temperatures with multiple programs, running the BurnInTest, or using any other CPU stress applications prompts the crash. However, the crash can also occur during regular use. My CPU idles in BIOS at around 30c and spikes up to 40-50 when running windows idle. I'm concerned about my thermal grease, as I had some difficulty seating the worst-designed-cooler ever, the stealth wraith. I'm able to reapply the thermal paste to see if it helps, but I've read lots online warning against doing that if possible.

If it's not the CPU, I have very little idea what else it may be. I'm running two brand new SSD's as well as an old HDD (should I try booting with only my boot drive installed?). I've reseated the RAM, double checked all my connectors and done my absolute best to create a good airflow. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this freeze?

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide to help figure this out. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

what are you constantly doing wen it freezes

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Disabling 'Cool n Quiet', wow... I haven't heard of that as working in a long time. Did you update the BIOS in the end? Quite possible that the later BIOS updated some aspect of the coding that would've fixed the issue without outright disabling.

55'C under load? In what circumstances?
If only one program is reporting high temps, and RyzenMaster, HWMonitor etc all report consistently, I'd chalk that up to a bug in BurnTest. The likelihood of BT being accurate when all others show completely different is near 0.

I know RyzenMaster is/was the most accurate place for temps - HWMonitor & HWInfo were initially reporting the 20'C offset of Ryzen, but that has since been fixed.
Perhaps Speccy et al are still reporting the +20'C offset, not 100% sure - but I wouldn't be worried.

Feb 27, 2019
Didn't end up updating the BIOS, no. Once the crashing stopped I went with the 'Ain't broke don't fix it' approach. That being said, do you think it's worth my time/the risk to update my BIOS anyway, re-enable the setting and see if it works? I'm not particularly fussed about losing out on any features of Cool n Quiet, more so concerned about my CPU not operating as it should.

55'C load is when I'm playing games or using other CPU intensive programs. It's basically at either 40'C or in the mid 50's. After several hours of intensive CPU usage the highest it got was 60'C.

Feb 27, 2019
Updated my BIOS and haven't encountered any further issues - so I'd consider this little issue solved! You're a legend for walking me through these incessant questions. Thanks once again!