[SOLVED] Fresh off of a Factory Restart: GPU Clock Speed dropping, Lowering FPS and performance

flamingkatana

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
Just did a factory reset on my laptop, and all of a sudden I started getting massive frame drops in all my games after ~30 seconds of play on average. I ran multiple diagnostics and have come to the conclusion that my GPU is throttling at very low temperatures: around about in the 64-65 C range. This laptop is supposed to throttle the GPU at 94 C. I've never had this problem with this computer before in the 4 years that I've owned it. I tried to check if my throttling temperature had changed with ASUS GPU Tweak, but it shows the same 94 C I was expecting. I'm not sure if I fully trust this, since my computer behavior is clearly consistent with throttling.

I can't change (or find really) any GPU settings in BIOS, and I've already tried doing a clean driver install for my GPU with DDU. I have also tried fiddling with in-game settings. While I get a performance increase by lowering graphical settings, I still drop frames like crazy after ~30 seconds regardless.

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 7567
i7 2.8 GHz 4 core
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti (Mobile)
Windows 10
16 GB RAM

Please let me know if any further specs are needed, and thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, I'm fairly certain that it's not a thermal paste/ cleanliness issue since i clean out my laptop fairly often, and I wasn't having overheating issues prior to the factory reset.

Last edited:
Solution
Edit: Also, I'm fairly certain that it's not a thermal paste/ cleanliness issue since i clean out my laptop fairly often, and I wasn't having overheating issues prior to the factory reset.
I know you said your certain but take a look at the GPU chip thermal paste and consider changing it. It could have dried up. It is worth a shot.