Fresh Win 7 install on SSD, 110 GB data written in 5 days

gbench

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Hi! I got my first SSD (250 GB 850 Evo) and installed Windows 7 on it. Right now it takes 28 GB of disk usage including all updates and some programs. Samsung Magician shows 0.11 TB data written. So where do these 80 Gb of written data come from? I am aware that SSDss nowadays can last a long time and at that pace (20 GB/day) my SSD estimated lifespan is around 10 years or more. I just dont want to waste my disk for no reason. For example, today I installed some programs worth around 200 MB and Samsung Magician shows 20 GB instead! That's a lot of wasted written data!

Solution
There is a LOT of temp data that gets written! When you install a program a lot of the time it has to extract itself to a temp folder THEN install.

Window updates are the same way. If you install windows 7 SP1 with NO updates that is a few GB of updates downloaded, then extracted, and then finally installed.

Also EVERYTHING you do window is constantly reading and writing temp data to the disk. Every time you go to a website, or open a program or even just start it up!

Don't worry about it as much. These drives are designed for 82GB Written in ONE DAY for 5 YEARS EVERY DAY before they are set to fail so if it is only 20GB a day that is 20 YEARS. So dont worry about that number as much. Once you start to hit 150TB then worry
There is a LOT of temp data that gets written! When you install a program a lot of the time it has to extract itself to a temp folder THEN install.

Window updates are the same way. If you install windows 7 SP1 with NO updates that is a few GB of updates downloaded, then extracted, and then finally installed.

Also EVERYTHING you do window is constantly reading and writing temp data to the disk. Every time you go to a website, or open a program or even just start it up!

Don't worry about it as much. These drives are designed for 82GB Written in ONE DAY for 5 YEARS EVERY DAY before they are set to fail so if it is only 20GB a day that is 20 YEARS. So dont worry about that number as much. Once you start to hit 150TB then worry

Solution