Question Fresh Win10 Installation - Drive 0 or Drive 1?

Dec 4, 2018
Hello!

I've just finished building my first-ever PC after 2 days (yay), but I'm currently at another roadblock... when at the part where I have to choose which drive I want to install Windows 10 on, I'm given two options:
  • Drive 0 Unallocated Space
  • Drive 1 Unallocated Space
b37NYhd.png

Screenshot courtesy of Paul's Hardware since I unable to screenshot from my end currently; just imagine a second, Drive 1, is there.

The problem is, both of these drivers are clean and 1TB since I currently have a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD AND a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2, and I cannot tell which drive is the NVMe M.2 drive cause that's where I want to install Windows for the fast boot times. The last thing I want is to install Windows on the slower drive.

So my question in short is, would the faster NVMe M.2 drive be Drive 0 or Drive 1? For those curious, my motherboard is the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming

--
Edit #1: Removed the regular SSD and proceeded to install Win10 on the NVM.e, and it turned out successful! (was easier than I thought it would it) Thanks so much everyone!

Last edited:
Not during installation.
@llamaalad
Do a forum search and you will find plenty of posts by people begging for help when they've installed an OS with two or more drives connected to the system.

Either they have installed the OS to the old drive, overwriting everything they wanted to keep; or they removed the old drive and the system will no longer boot to their newly-installed OS.