Question Fresh windows 10 install, monitor's speakers work but headphones dont.

Mar 26, 2020
My computer booted to a black screen and i couldn't fix it, so i loaded a fresh install of windows 10. Everything was going smoothly except my headphones aren't working. However, my monitor's speakers are working and the headphones worked before the fresh install. I have tried multiple types of headphones and none of them work so its not the fault of the headphones. When i plug in the headphones, i hear a very faint sound that resembles a loud computer fan being heard through a pillow. I have my audio drivers installed and iv'e looked at many youtube tutorials describing my issue. Could this possibly be a hardware issue with my computer? its an old system and ive wanted to upgrade for a while, but not until this audio issue is fixed. Thanks for your help.
System specs
MSI 760 GMA -P34 (fx)
AMD FX-6300
GTX 750ti
1 stick of 8gig DDR3 ram

thanks for your reply, i never would have considered this. How can i change my settings so that my graphics card will prioritize my headphones?
Right click on the little speaker in the notification area of task bar (usually the lower right side of screen) and click on OPEN SOUND SETTINGS. Then, in the 'Choose your output device' box select 'Speakers' or the sound card or something different from what you have right now. The choices offered depend on what your hardware installed is named by their drivers. If you don't know it then just experiment till you find the one you connect your headphones to.

Mar 26, 2020
I only have two options, my headphones and my monitor's speakers, iv'e disabled and enabled them, re downloaded drivers and disabled all audio enhancements but my headphones still wont work. they work on other devices however so its not their fault.