fresh windows 7 install vs. HDD clone on a new SSD for laptop

ren5000

Reputable
May 22, 2015
I've ordered a Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD. I don't have any backups or system recovery discs other than the Windows 7 disc that came with my laptop.

My question is: 1. Can I install the SSD in my laptop, use the windows 7 disc that came with my laptop and install a fresh copy of windows 7?

2. After the fresh windows 7 is installed (and is the only thing on the new SSD) connect the old HDD that I removed from the laptop using a SATA to usb cable/dock and the move all my programs (quicken, iTunes, google chrome etc.) and files (music, movies, photos) onto the new SSD manually like dragging and dropping folders? or is there a better way?
Currently all of my programs and files exist on my HDD on the same drive partition as my current install of windows 7 so if I clone my HDD to the new SSD then my current windows install would be cloned along with all my programs and files. I really would like a fresh install of windows. Or is a fresh install of windows unnecessary? I as far as I know my windows/system is clean, I use McAfee and Malwarebytes to scan my system but I think things can lurk where even where those scans can't find them, right?

Please help, Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, ren5000!

The recommended thing to do when having the option of a clean install is to do that. Cloning might be the second best thing, when you don't have a pre-installed OS or Windows Installation disk. However, it would clone all the temp, dump files from your previous installation as well.
Once you perform a fresh install of Windows, it's highly recommended to re-install your programs as well, basically because it's not certain how many of them will be working properly.
I'd suggest you to take a look at this Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

Hope it helps! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, ren5000!

The recommended thing to do when having the option of a clean install is to do that. Cloning might be the second best thing, when you don't have a pre-installed OS or Windows Installation disk. However, it would clone all the temp, dump files from your previous installation as well.
Once you perform a fresh install of Windows, it's highly recommended to re-install your programs as well, basically because it's not certain how many of them will be working properly.
I'd suggest you to take a look at this Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

Hope it helps! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

HardwareDude83

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Do you have another machine you can hook your laptop drive to through a USB adapter, like another desktop/laptop? I believe Cloning is gonna be the way to go for you. If you can hook your current drive with all your OS and apps on it I would connect it through a USB adapter then use a program called HDD RAW COPy, from here: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/HDDRawCopy1.10Portable.exe
It will create a RAW image of your working disk and save it as an .img making your only remaining step to hook your SSD to that adapter and then set the source file as the one you saved and the target as your new SSD. This will save you from having to reinstall not just the OS, but almost all your programs. I suggest giving this a try, if somehow you have trouble with the program ho harm, no foul.