Fresh Windows 8 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

sguzinski

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I am working on a computer for a friend. To make it short, I now need to install a fresh copy of Windows 8 on his laptop. He says that the laptop didn't come with a Windows 8 disc (which I'm pretty sure it should have). Where can I find a clean copy of Windows 8 (not the pro version). I have the activation key.

Thank you!

Solution
many laptop companies now don't ship the disc to cut costs. you're "supposed to" burn a recovery disc using build in tools after you turn on the laptop. since your friend obviously didn't do that, you can look for the laptop manufacturer's support webpage to see that if it is something you can download, if not you may need to contact customer support directly.

[strike]otherwise you'd need to pirate [/strike]it or pay for another copy (both are not optimal options)
many laptop companies now don't ship the disc to cut costs. you're "supposed to" burn a recovery disc using build in tools after you turn on the laptop. since your friend obviously didn't do that, you can look for the laptop manufacturer's support webpage to see that if it is something you can download, if not you may need to contact customer support directly.

[strike]otherwise you'd need to pirate [/strike]it or pay for another copy (both are not optimal options)

Solution

gbryan101

Honorable
May 28, 2013
This thread discusses restoring Windows 8 from a factory recovery partition, something that may be relevant to your friend's system.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/18494-clean-install-windows-8-without-install-disc.html

It is actually pretty normal for a system to ship without a Windows install disc, even back with the Windows 7 systems I have bought. Creating a disc from an ISO you find can be an issue, or at least it has been for me. I have decent collection of Windows ISOs dating back to XP, and I know the Windows 8 ISOs are tied to a their specific keys and will not work with any other. Now, these are system builder copies and not OEM. By OEM, I am referring to the copies used by the original manufacturers such as HP, Dell, ect.

This thread talks about this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3591-73-install-active-windows-change-hard-drive

The product key for the original install of Windows 8 should be part of the system's BIOS. You can try to create a functional copy of Windows 8 by using an Upgrade, in theory it should look to your BIOS for a key and take it from there.

My suggestion would be to contact the laptop's OEM and ask about getting a physical copy of the media or a recovery copy. If available, they will likely charge for this but likely less than a new system builder copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.