Question Fresh Windows install and now I get severe ping spikes ?

Lennythellama

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Last week my HDD that had Windows on it stopped working. Since then I have had to freshly reinstall Windows and all my drivers on to one of my SSD's. After reinstalling everything and trying to play games I get severe ping spikes every few seconds making literally everything unplayable. I can still watch videos and download fine but I just can't seem to keep a stable connection. I have tried almost everything and searched for hours for a solution but nothing seems to work!
I have tried a ping test in command prompt and every 4 or 5 pings it goes from 40 ping to 400-500 ping.

Here are my specs if it helps at all:

RTX3060Ti 8GB

Samsung SSD QVO 1TBx3

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

16GB of RAM can't remember who from though

Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter

Last edited:

Lennythellama

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Ooops forgot to say, I'm running a asus prime x570-pro. And yeah I have updated to the latest chipset. I did a network reset under control panel which seemed to work last night, then after trying again today the lag has come back. I think it is also worth mentioning that no one else in my household experiences these issues so I can safely rule the router out.

Update: I did a network reset again and then restarted my PC as is required when doing so, then did another ping test and the issue was once again resolved. However, after restarting my PC for a second time and doing a ping test yet again it returns to the ping spikes, surely I don't have to do this every time I boot up just so I can play games properly.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you say latest chipset, do you mean the latest bios, or the motherboard chipset drivers found in the same place that include Lan, pcie, USB, Sata, audio etc?
Resetting windows wipes all those out as they are stored under windows/drivers, so if they aren't replaced you end up using windows default generic drivers, which frankly will not allow the motherboard to perform at its best.

Lennythellama

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
I went to the Asus website and made sure I had the latest chipset drivers.
But yes it is also where you can find the LAN and audio.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lan and audio chipset drivers are there, along with the rest, under drivers/tool tab next to the bios/firmware. Sometimes they are part of a package, sometimes you need to scroll down the list and look for them. Be sure to compare dates if you find multiple versions.

Lennythellama

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
Yeah I had installed those drivers too meaning that it still didn't work for me. For now I am still just doing a fresh network reset every time I turn my PC on. Unfortunately I am still unable to find a solution.

TRENDING THREADS