Fresh Windows Install and now things are broken.

Tekoa

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate two days ago and now I'm completely stumped on what drivers I need to get, also, what essential programs I need. Another thing, after this install, none of the USB ports at the back of the computer will work, no idea why.

System:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 14336MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Motherboard: EVGA X79 SLI

Also an image I thought was important to share:
AMQousG.png

Solution
For the video card try going to Nvidias site first. That should get you those proper drivers. One thing to also try is to update the device driver like normal but select to choose the location. I just use c: and it usually works. If that fails to work you can check the bios for the USB ports. Some Bios settings allow to turn off usb ports to the front/back/all. For the motherboard, I would download CPUZ and use it to check the exact model of components. Then use that information and go to the manufacturers website to download drivers. More than likely that is what you will need to do. Also, you might want to install just the WHQL drivers, not the beta.

revernt

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Here you can enter your Motherboard/OS information and find drivers. Download and install the USB 3.0 driver (and anything else you need, if it were my machine I would install Audio, Chipset, Network, and USB. [and BIOS if the factory BIOS was giving me trouble])

Tekoa

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Downloaded and installed all of these drivers, and there is still a huge list of warning signs in my Device Manager, and the USB ports still do not work.

You need to re-install all the drivers for your system, video card, all the motherboard drivers, anything else you have installed. See what is not installed in Device Manager and look for those drivers.

How did you install the sytem in the first place? Just use that same method. You clearly have a custom system not an off the shelf one so it had to be put together with drivers to work in the first place.

The motherboard should have come with a driver disk, use that to at least get everything installed and you can look for updates online after that.

Tekoa

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I built this computer almost four years ago, and slowly added things on. I have no idea where a driver disk would be. And as I said, I have downloaded all of the drivers from the EVGA website, but there are still many problems. I'm really not sure what to do here.

mordax86

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
For the video card try going to Nvidias site first. That should get you those proper drivers. One thing to also try is to update the device driver like normal but select to choose the location. I just use c: and it usually works. If that fails to work you can check the bios for the USB ports. Some Bios settings allow to turn off usb ports to the front/back/all. For the motherboard, I would download CPUZ and use it to check the exact model of components. Then use that information and go to the manufacturers website to download drivers. More than likely that is what you will need to do. Also, you might want to install just the WHQL drivers, not the beta.

Solution