Fresh windows install

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Ok so today i got fed up with my clogged up system and decided to reinstall windows and everything.
But as soon as i finished the basics, Windows + AV + several drivers. I found something odd which i never seen before.
Anyone knows why this is, or how i can change it?

cDccbk1.jpg

Solution
Great to know that. Dos works on the administrative level and in windows most of the administrative options are strictly controlled and inter connected. So any change using Windows GUI could be undone by another program inter phase running in the Background.

Any way. I am happy for your success at the same time feel a little bit sad for myself not being able to help you completely with it.

Hope this does not happen again.

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014

Its the dutch windows 7, i never had it before but today i suddenly ended up with 2 Program files folders after a fresh install.
Yes i have it every time when i login windows.
Everything seems to be working fine, but its annoying to see these duplicates

senseijtitus

Honorable
You did format the C Drive completely before installing the new Windows version Right?

It is a 64 Bit version. Right?

If so, there should only be 2 program files folder. 1 normal Program files & 1 Program Files(x86) for 32 Bit programs.

I am not sure if this version had all the drivers streamed into the installation script. If that is the case, it is possible that some of the drivers may have not finished installation.

Check the Start up items. Click on Start + "R"(Without Quotes). Then type "MSCONFIG"(Again Without Quotes). Then click enter.

In the MS Config window, go to start up items and check if there is any start up program associated with CMD or Command file. Disable it and restart.

That should work if it is there. Let me know what happens next.

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Yes I removed the partitions and formatted the drive during the windows install.
It's the 64 version yes.
I'm working with computers for more than 25 years, but this problem has me beat.

I did another windows install again and found out that it disappeared.
After installing avast free, Firefox and nvidia drivers, the same problem occurred.
So I'm thinking it's related to avast. But I'm not completely sure.
Does anyone has had the same problem? Or knows more about it?

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014
After looking into it some more, the 2nd Program files seems to be a ghost map, it only contain a map called avast sofware when you look at the popup which appears if you put the mouse cursor on it
Could it be an error in the partition table or something related to the avast installer?

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014
when i try access the map it give the following error
Location not available.
C:\program files\avast software is pointing to a location that is not available.
The location can be a hard drive on this computer on in the network.

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014
The Program files folder is still there, it contrains 0 files and 0 maps.
Yet when i open the folder, its "redirects"? to the real Program Files folder.
Only difference is that in the real one, avast software map is accessible, but in the "fake" program files folder, it is not.

I tried uninstalling avast with the uninstall utility and the map is still there.

DV79

Reputable
May 27, 2014
Sorry for the late reply, i've been pretty busy with work.
Well i already tried reinstalling windows 3 times, but avast keep creating the problem over an over.
I'm lost about what to do, since i never had this kind of problem before.

senseijtitus

Honorable
I understand. Do one thing.

it's best to run Avast's removal tool I mentioned earlier in safe mode. After the removal, reboot with your network adapter disabled (or switch off your router) and run RegSeeker ( http://www.hoverdesk.net/ ).

Scan registry using the search term avast and remove any avast entries.

Reboot.

Then try a clean install of Avast. Well, my experience is with the free version. If you're using the paid version of Avast make sure that you've got license keys sorted out before you go ahead.

Lets see if this works.

senseijtitus

Honorable
Great to know that. Dos works on the administrative level and in windows most of the administrative options are strictly controlled and inter connected. So any change using Windows GUI could be undone by another program inter phase running in the Background.

Any way. I am happy for your success at the same time feel a little bit sad for myself not being able to help you completely with it.

Hope this does not happen again.

Solution

senseijtitus

Honorable

That's okay buddy. We are all here to help each other in need. Always happy to be of help in some way or another.

Take care.