Fresh Windows XP Install hangs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

Late lastnight I was attacked by a nasty virus that wouldn't give control of my computer back, every attempt at a "System Restore" was met by the virus blocking my attempt. I was able to do a "System Restore" via "Safe Mode" but strange things began to happen even after the restore point, so I saved as many family pictures as possible. Bottomline, is there a safe way to scan my thumb drive for virus so that I can add my family pictures to my new fresh install?

Thank you, I appreciate any assistance!

Regards, Systemlord.

Solution
Boot into safe mode with networking. Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan, including your flash drive.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Windows hangs yet again, after I click on Start Tab - Turn Off it's as if Windows doesn't know what or how to perform a shutdown. While Windows is hanging I'm able to open My Pictures, My Documents and My Computer. I have not yet experienced any problems while computer is running or gaming. Why this happening to not just one but three completely different OS installs? I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel! I'm running Nvidia drivers 196.21 with fully updated sound card drivers which never had problems prier to these events, I've tried 186.18 Nvidia drivers also. I appreciate your help!

1. Warning Windows saved user Gaming-Machine\Doug registry while an application or service was still using the registry has been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

2. Warning Windows cannot upload your classes registory file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

Have you installed something recently, that is running as your user account in the services window? It could be something you've installed each time. If it's just recently started hapening, think of what changes have been made.

You can check on the services by going to start-->run-->services.msc. Look in the 'log on as' column to see how the service is running.

It may also be worthwhile to run a registry scan to check for errors. Try using ccleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I don't understand what you mean as far as running in my user account, user account/service menu huh? I am the only administrator with no guests, I install games and surf the web. I use CClearner all the time on a weekly basis, when updating drivers I use Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5.

Regards,
Techlord.

Get into the services window. Start-->run-->services.msc. It looks like this.
http://www.petri.co.il/images/services_msc6.jpg

From your quote above, it sounds like there's a service running as your user account, and not 'local system' or 'network systems.' I have no idea what service is referenced in that quote, I'm just pointing out, that's what it's trying to suggest. If you can narrow down the service that goes with a program recently installed, you can change the 'log on' type. Right click on the service-->properties-->log on tab-->click bubble for 'local system account.' Apply the changes and exit.

^This won't cause any harm, and can be changed back if you change the wrong service, or if it's not even the issue.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Hours before the hangs started again I installed my Creative sound card drivers because everything was working fine, I don't see how anything (sound drivers) can change that dramaticlly from one OS install to the next. I installed Windows XP originally 3 years, then got a bad virus a week ago and here I am after three OS installs with the last two giving me troubles. I think what the Warning is saying is I am trying to perform an action after I have already clicked on "Turn Off". I only get the Warning if I try to perform an action after I have already performed the shutdown while hanging.

Regards,
Systemlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I spent two days on the video drivers with no hangs, what if it turns out to be the sound card drivers, am I supposed to do play my games on mute? I'm using the same sound card drivers I was using two years ago without any problems, why now the problems? I currently restored to a point where there are no sound card drivers, it could be a windows update. Usually when strange things happen within computers OS systems the recommended course of action is to wipe everything and start over, I have done exactly that! Maybe it's time to upgrade to Windows 7, you think? I fully plan on buying Nvidia's new graphics card on the 26th, can you imagine if I bought Windows 7 and the same problem creeped up. I am at the end of my rope here with no solution!

Now that you've rolled back to before the soundcard driver was installed, does it still hang on shut down?

You're right, it could also be a windows update that downloaded around the same time. I would suggest turning off the windows updates for the time being.

If we can nail down the cause, then we can work on a solution. Until then, it's hard to throw out random solutions.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

No in three days without sound card drivers it hasn't hanged at all, but before I point the finger I want to be 100% sure it is the sound card drivers. What should I do from this point? Should I install some games without my sound drivers and do that for a week? If playing games for a week doesn't produce any hangs and then I install sound drivers and things start hanging.....

Regards,
Systemlord

Ok, first thing to do, is check for any and all windows updates. Download anything available. Once you've downloaded all of them, check again to see if there's anymore. This is important, as windows updates are one of the main causes of this symptom.

If the windows updates don't cause the hang to reoccur, then it's time to install the sound card driver. If the symptom comes back, you have the cause nailed down.

What is the motherboard model?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

It's in my signature at bottom. My Asus P5E I have has been super stable and has been the best board I have ever used for overclocking, so far it's capable of 3.8GHz on my E6600. I have been running an overclock of 3.2GHz for three years without so much as a hiccup, never updated the BIOS because I had no problems with the stock BIOS version. If it an't broke why fix it? I will run without the sound drivers for another day or so to be 100% sure everything installed isn't a problem, if I have no problems by wednesday I will install my card drivers and see what happens. If it does pan out to be my sound card drivers how do we fix it?

Regards,
Systemlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Edit:

Alright things are starting to go haywire! I left my computer on desktop for about an hour and notice out of the corner of my eye one of my Ram sticks was putting on a light show (Crucial Ballistix Tracer with LEDs) while the other was not producing a light show. I tried to bring up Task Manager and it froze completely, so no I have to stress test my whole system. What's strange is there are two rows of LEDs, only one row was blinking which is not supposed to happen! I'll update if anything shows up, oh I didn't install the sound card drivers so we know it's not that now. Moer errors and warnings below >

1.Date: 3/8/2010 Source: Security

Time: 12:48PM Category: Logon/Logoff

Type: Failture Audit

User NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Computer: Gaming Machine

Logon Failure:

Reason: Unknown user name or bad password

Source: Security

Time: 12:48PM Category: Account Logon

User NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Logon attenpt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Source: WinMgmt

A provider, HIPERFCOOKER_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace
ROOT\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged
and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I just received this security update that may explain my problem, more detail below.

Error report
Source: Security

Time: 12:48PM Category: Account Logon

User NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM

Logon attenpt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Source: WinMgmt

A provider, HIPERFCOOKER_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace
ROOT\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged
and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

Windows Security Update 3/9/2010

General Information:

Executive Summary:

This security update resolves one publicly disclosed and one privately reported vulnerability in Microsoft Windows. The vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on to the system and then ran a specially crafted application. To exploit either vulnerability, an attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally. The vulnerabilities could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users

Regards,
Systemlord

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Since three security updates and allowing "WMI Performance LocalSystem" to "Allow service to interact with desktop", I haven't had a hang on shutdown or Restart in three days. Things are looking good now, I hope this lasts!

Techlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Will do, if it happens again I'll keep everyone updated because there must be others with similar problems.

Regards,
Systemlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I already did that twice, I ran Western Digital's HDD utility many times and passed. Could a BIOS cause this shutdown issue? I'm really surprised no one else is having these same problems, why just me? I haven't done anything different than I did on the last three installs of Windows XP, I'm getting fed up with this Windows hanging crap!! Next time when I buy an OS I'm buying the retail version so I can have tech support! I have done EVERYTHING and still there's no end in sight, there's no logs of anything in Event Viewer. Must I upgrade to Windows 7 to fix?

Systemlord

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

There are no failed Windows updates, I haven't updated my Bios ever since I purchased my motherboard over two years ago. I'm still using the out of box version, I never update unless there's a reason to, my thinking if it isn't broke... How can a Bios mess with the shutdown of a computer?

Thanks,
Systemlord.

If your BIOS is out of date, it can effect the recognition and stability of the devices and system overall. It specifically can interfere with ACPI systems.

I don't think this is the most likely cause of the problem. It's simply a possible cause. It's not a bad idea to update the BIOS if there is one available. There could be a number of updates and fixes. A caution though: if you lose power or the BIOS flash goes bad, it can turn your motherboard into a doorstop.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

That's another reason why updating to Bios is a last resort, bricking the motherboard. The last few days I have noticed that Windows sometimes takes twice as long from the push of the power button till reaching Windows desktop, it usually takes three loading bars to load Windows during the load up screen, this morning it took six bars to load Windows all while my hard drive was a lot more active than usual! This paragraph more accurately describes my issues >

SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT’S REAL SLOW

If it appears that Win XP is not shutting down, give it some time. Some users report a minute or longer for shutdown to visibly start. Generally, this is a consequence of software that is running when shutdown is attempted. It also may have something to do with particular hardware. If you experience this problem, be sure to close all running programs before attempting shutdown and see if this solves your problem. If so, then you can determine, by trial and error, which program(s) are involved.