Fresh Windows XP Install hangs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

Late lastnight I was attacked by a nasty virus that wouldn't give control of my computer back, every attempt at a "System Restore" was met by the virus blocking my attempt. I was able to do a "System Restore" via "Safe Mode" but strange things began to happen even after the restore point, so I saved as many family pictures as possible. Bottomline, is there a safe way to scan my thumb drive for virus so that I can add my family pictures to my new fresh install?

Thank you, I appreciate any assistance!

Regards, Systemlord.

Solution
Boot into safe mode with networking. Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan, including your flash drive.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

No extra hard drive and I don't know what Roxio is. I'm temped into buying a WD VelociRaptor in the next few months, mmm.... Think about buying the WD VelociRaptor.

Lol....They are nice. I love mine. I used to have the Raptor X drive, and hated it. It was so loud, I had to get rid of it. While the price has come down on the VR, they are still pricey! The Samsung F3 500GB or 1TB drives are very quick, and better priced.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

When I purchased my all aluminum Silverstone TJ09 full tower case my Raptor 10k drive sounded louder in than it did in the Dell steel case, it's all about acoustics! Steel is stiffer than aluminum which is why a Raptor will sound louder in an aluminum case.

Updated

Three times now while playing Slient Hunter 4 my monitor just turns off in the middle of the game and then I hear my hard drive come to a stop just like it does when I turn off my computer, still think it's Windows? What could command a HDD to just turn off like that?

Regards,
Techlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I need some help in troublshooting my computers OS taking 90 seconds to shutdown, I need to know how to "Shutdown" after "Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile". The only thing is the instructions on this website are horrible! Any suggestions to hacking regestry will be ignored completely! Below is the link and a quote is provided, thank you. :)

http://www.internetfixes.com/help_desk_winxp/winxp_30.htm
Note: You can also do this without regestry hacking. Go to Control panel Administartative tools, local security policy. Next, go to local policies> security options. Then change the option for "Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile".

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

What is not in the quote is in the link provided, I see no such word as Local Policies and Security Options . I have exhaustively searched for the words local policies, security options in Admin Tools, the only thing in Admin Tools is >

Component Services
Computuer Management
Data Sources
Event Viewer
Performance
Services

Show me how to take a screen shot so I can show you exactly what I'm looking at please? I believe I'm missing something big here because other's have given me the same instructions, yet there is no such icon, folder and/or tab labeded Local Policies or Security Options. I have admin priviliges here, are we talking about the same Windows XP Home Edition here??? :heink:

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

So where do I go from here? Does the Retail copy of Windows XP/7 offer tech support free of charge, I can't take this anymore, is there nothing else I can do to fix this headache? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here, hopeless at this point! :(

Systemlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

No need to be sorry, it's just one of those things that are almost impossible to fix. I'm quite surprised that I'm the only one here on this forum with this problem, if I upgrade to Windows 7 and it happens there to, then I'll know it must be either a hardware issue or driver issue. Would you recommend anything else I might try?

Regards,
Systemlord.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

An hour ago I was able to reproduce the slow Windows shutdown issue six times in a row, I read on Windows website earlier that there was a known problem with an audioexe. service that was causing the long Windows shutdown issue, so on the seventh time when Windows shutdown issue came up again I clicked on End Process for CTAudSvs.exe. Windows immediately shutdown! From all my research so far indicates that no one has been able to figure out what this CTAudSvs.exe does, but several gamers have gone on with this service disabled without an lasting effects! Just thought I would update this thread, I hope this really is the problem... Another thing before I forget, I was only able to repeat these slow shutdown issues via Task Manager when clicking> "Turn Off".

Regards,
Systemlord.