[SOLVED] Freshly built PC BSOD at seemingly random times

Aug 25, 2019
Hello, I have some problems with my freshly built PC, it seems to randomly blue screen of death on me while not under load at all, seems to happen while browsing the internet or playing light games.

Specs:
Motherboard: MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI, ATX-emolevy
Proc: Ryzen 5 3600, AM4, 3.6 GHz, 6-core
GPU: Radeon RX 5700, 8GB GDDR6
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance RGB PRO, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16, 1.35V
Storage: 500GB 970 EVO Plus SSD-levy, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe,
PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)

Currently running RAM at 3000 MHz

Crash logs from WhoCrashed:
On Sun 25/08/2019 15.00.54 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-7593-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BFCC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFB8, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8062163A13B, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0xF1B4)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 25/08/2019 14.52.18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-7390-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFB97D, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80467042CB6)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sun 25/08/2019 13.59.20 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-7484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8001779A85F)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFD98817E002F4, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8001779A85F, 0x2)
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0345944.inf_amd64_403c37b116746a6f\B345674\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Sun 25/08/2019 12.43.47 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-6625-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8003F6442A2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

On Sun 25/08/2019 11.40.51 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-6687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF80F9, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8002C242CB6)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

The logs and other threads have indicated to me that this might be a driver issue, so I've made sure to install the latest drivers I could find.

Any suggestions on how I could fix/troubleshoot this?

Solution
Other things I've done is I've ran the windows memory checker utility as random crashes seem to be an indicator of bad ram
This isn't strictly true. It's just a common go to. Most crashes are third party modules. But RAM can just cause all manner of things. I've seen faulty RAM simply cause windows updates to stop working.

Should I try reinstalling the Wifi and Ethernet drivers off the motherboard's website and see if that improves stability in any way?
I would yes. Did you say you have now updated a lot of drivers? or were you saying just that you updated those modules previously?

Basically the third party modules list on the report is all of the drivers that were RUNNING at the time of your crash, so if it is...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I tend to avoid using whocrashed as it's more a translator, and doesn't give any detail behind the crash. Could you post ai link to the dump files themselves and we can help debug accordingly?

NT drivers are microsoft kernel, which are just what crashed usually, not actually the cause.
Also the ATI drivers are your AMD video card drivers, so that's your first module to look at.

Most of the stop errors you are seeing are typically driver based. So with the dump files we might be able to shed some more light.

Aug 25, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I tend to avoid using whocrashed as it's more a translator, and doesn't give any detail behind the crash. Could you post ai link to the dump files themselves and we can help debug accordingly?

NT drivers are microsoft kernel, which are just what crashed usually, not actually the cause.
Also the ATI drivers are your AMD video card drivers, so that's your first module to look at.

Most of the stop errors you are seeing are typically driver based. So with the dump files we might be able to shed some more light.

Zipped the dump files and uploaded them to google drive, here's a link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sgfYUOyVMBZkNTODyawkgXk-fJBIpIqt/view?usp=sharing

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run 1 of the original dumps and the latest dump (should give us a good enough comparison for NOW, then see how we get on) - you can see the full reports below:

Dump 1: https://pste.eu/p/OcB7.html IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check 0xA is usually caused by kernel mode device drivers using improper addresses. This is either a bad memory pointer or a pageability problem with the device driver code. Examine the third party drivers .

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing the error. For more information, see Open Event Viewer. Look for critical errors in the system log that occurred in the same time window as the blue screen.

Dump 2: https://pste.eu/p/BrVe.html PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check 0x50 can be caused by the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.

It could also occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

I recommend you view the 2 reports for more detail on each bugcheck but as a summary just look at the segments above. I know @Colif might like to get his hands on this one too.
  • Are you running any overclock at all?
  • Are your RAM modules from the same pack?
  • There is a newer BIOS update available which considering you're on an X570 chipset, may be necessary.
  • View https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI#down-driver&Win10 64 for latest MB drivers.
  • You may need to disable your RAM XMP temporarily to see if this is the cause.
  • I'd be tempted to look at your Wifi and Ethernet drivers based on the lists I am seeing

Aug 25, 2019
Thank you very much for the detailed answers, it was more than I expected.
To answer your questions:
  • Not running any overclock at all, had some problems with the bios after first enabling XMP profile with its default settings where I couldn't get the PC to start, to fix this I've reset CMOS and I was back to booting in successfully.
  • My RAM modules come from the exact same pack, 1x of these, currently seated in DIMM A2 and B2 as indicated on motherboard.
  • I have updated my BIOS to the latest version (not the beta): Version 7B93v11
  • I have installed everything from that list, except from the intel wifi driver. I saw myself in the logs that it looks like it might be the cause of these issues and seems I am getting wifi without the driver installed anyway. If you guys are recommending I reinstall, I will, although I somehow doubt this is the root cause.
  • I was seeing blue screens with XMP enabled and without it enabled. Currently I have it enabled, and I have only touched the frequency manually setting it to 3000 MHz instead of 3200 Mhz as it was originally, based on some other recommendations I have read online. Again, I am more than willing to experiment here, however I am very unfamiliar with these settings and would definitely need a walk through.
Should I try reinstalling the Wifi and Ethernet drivers off the motherboard's website and see if that improves stability in any way?

Other things I've done is I've ran the windows memory checker utility as random crashes seem to be an indicator of bad ram, no errors were found with that. Would probably have to move to memtest86 next ...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Other things I've done is I've ran the windows memory checker utility as random crashes seem to be an indicator of bad ram
This isn't strictly true. It's just a common go to. Most crashes are third party modules. But RAM can just cause all manner of things. I've seen faulty RAM simply cause windows updates to stop working.

I would yes. Did you say you have now updated a lot of drivers? or were you saying just that you updated those modules previously?

Basically the third party modules list on the report is all of the drivers that were RUNNING at the time of your crash, so if it is software, it will probably be one of them. And internet drivers are a common cause.

Theres no exact science to it, it's just a case of gradually eliminating the causes and retracing steps to identify at which point the problem toggles on and off. Can you recreate the BSOD at all? If so, try running in safe mode and see if the BSOD returns.

Solution
Aug 25, 2019
Can you recreate the BSOD at all?
Unfortunately no, I have no clue how it happens. When I first started the thread it would happen maybe once an hour or even more frequently. In between BSODs I was trying to troubleshoot what was causing it. The last thing I've installed, where the frequency of BSODs dropped drastically (hours to days) was the GPU driver, using AMDs auto driver detect tool.

I'm re-installing the networking drivers now, and let's see.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 28, 2019
Hello, I have some problems with my freshly built PC, it seems to randomly blue screen of death on me while not under load at all, seems to happen while browsing the internet or playing light games.

Specs:
Motherboard: MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI, ATX-emolevy
Proc: Ryzen 5 3600, AM4, 3.6 GHz, 6-core
GPU: Radeon RX 5700, 8GB GDDR6
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance RGB PRO, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16, 1.35V
Storage: 500GB 970 EVO Plus SSD-levy, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe,
PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)

Currently running RAM at 3000 MHz

Crash logs from WhoCrashed:
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-7593-01.dmp

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0xF1B4)

On Sun 25/08/2019 14.52.18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-7390-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFB97D, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80467042CB6)

On Sun 25/08/2019 13.59.20 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-7484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF8001779A85F)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFD98817E002F4, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8001779A85F, 0x2)
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0345944.inf_amd64_403c37b116746a6f\B345674\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Sun 25/08/2019 12.43.47 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-6625-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8003F6442A2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

On Sun 25/08/2019 11.40.51 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\082519-6687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF80F9, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8002C242CB6)

The logs and other threads have indicated to me that this might be a driver issue, so I've made sure to install the latest drivers I could find.

Any suggestions on how I could fix/troubleshoot this?
It's been a couple of days and my PC has been stable for the most part, however today I experienced another BSOD and it got me worried again.

Here's the dump file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15dSgzFXd-gpZ7bnNmEWWg1l9JzFfqlyC

As before, any help on how I could troubleshoot this is more than appreciated.

Events say
Received from the remote server was issued by an untrusted certificate authority. Because of this, none of the data contained in the certificate can be validated
The system was restarted without shutting it down cleanly first. This error can occur if the system stopped responding, crashed, or unexpectedly interrupted power.
The kernel power manager initiated a shutdown transition.

Might be the power supply or the cpu is lose or fan is dirty check the screws inside the laptop unexpectedly interrupted power. A memory stick or the charger or - ground touching metal making it shut down bad wire screw system stopped responding, crashed. Try mini versión of Windows , Or you might be remote hacked.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Received from the remote server was issued by an untrusted certificate authority. Because of this, none of the data contained in the certificate can be validated
Which event line are you referring to on this one? I highly suspect it is unrelated, this is certificate authentication, which shouldn't cause BSOD.

The system was restarted without shutting it down cleanly first. This error can occur if the system stopped responding, crashed, or unexpectedly interrupted power.
The kernel power manager initiated a shutdown transition.
If you are referring to Event ID 41 kernel power loss, then you can ignore it, it doesn't tell you anything about the crash. Event 41 is a generic power loss event, you can replicate the same error by simply pressing the reset button on your PC. It doesn not tell you anything about what the cause of the problem is, just that the problem has caused an unexpected shutdown - which you will know by the fact that your screen is black :) !

TRENDING THREADS