Question Freshly built PC fails to boot

xPubHD

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
EDIT: Solved the issue by updating my BIOS, I simply downloaded the update on my mobo manufacturers website and installed it through a USB stick, hope this helps.

Hey,

Got some new PC parts today and sadly it didn’t go as planned. For some reason sometimes my PC won’t boot. Basically it boots up with the monitor all black, turns off and then turns on again. After a couple of times of doing that it sometimes boots and I can get into BIOS but whenever I try exiting the BIOS and booting into my OS (Win 10) through my SSD it gets stuck on the splash screen before entering the OS.

I have tried removing each RAM stick and booting without any RAM at all which gives an error code (DRAM lights up on the mobo).
The speaker also beeps one time when it doesn’t fail to boot but when I tried booting with no RAM it just went into a reboot loop without even getting access to the BIOS, the speaker didn’t beep at all when it was in that state which got me thinking that the RAM might be faulty. I have also tried to boot with no GPU, reset the CMOS battery, switching RAM slots and booting with each RAM slot seperately with no luck

Here are a couple of pictures that might help,
View: https://imgur.com/a/RTS45jG

Setup:
MSI RTX 2070 8GB GAMING
i7 9700k
GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X
Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Corsair RM650
Samsung EVO 860 500GB

Anything helps, thanks!

Last edited:

xPubHD

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
did you check the boot sequence on bios?
Yes I did but it should not behave like this even if it is trying to boot into the wrong storage device right? It’s struggling to even come into the BIOS. I also tried trying to boot into the Windows Repair thingie and it still freezes when loading into it.

xPubHD

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
IIRC Gigabyte BIOSes do this when your have just changed bios settings, or when it doesn't like a setting you have selected and it goes back to safe options.
I reset all the settings through the ”Load Optimized Defaults” and also by removing the CMOS so I doubt that is the issue, I am going to test my RAM on another rig today to see if that is what is causing all of this.

Thanks anyways!

xPubHD

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
So if you let it do its thing after that boot (where you loaded defaults), and let it boot into Windows, and do a normal shutdown, does it take just as long/ do the same thing on the next "normal" boot?

I returned the mobo & the CPU, there is still a problem though. It doesn't get stuck in a boot loop anymore, I can go into the BIOS every single times that it boots but when I try to boot into my SSD it freezes while it is loading. I am creating a Windows Installation Media to see if it solves the problem. I really do not what the problem is though.

Last edited:

xPubHD

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
I have the exact same issue with the same motherboard, have you gotten it to work?
I got it working, I believe that I actually didn't need to return my mobo, what I did was I updated my BIOS by downloading the update on the manufacturers website and installing it through a USB stick. I did it on an MSI mobo but I believe that it should work on GIGABYTE aswell, lmk how it goes!

I returned the mobo & the CPU, there is still a problem though. It doesn't get stuck in a boot loop anymore, I can go into the BIOS every single times that it boots but when I try to boot into my SSD it freezes while it is loading. I am creating a Windows Installation Media to see if it solves the problem. I really do not what the problem is though.
Is the motherboard you have now the same model as your previous one?

xPubHD

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Is the motherboard you have now the same model as your previous one?
I got a different one, it’s still a Z390 chip but it’s MSI instead of GIGABYTE, after returning it I no longer had the boot loop problem but it was still freezing when loading which I resolved by updating the BIOS. Thanks anyways!