[SOLVED] Freshly built PC freezing under ridiculous workload

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 28, 2019
Hi everybody. First of all I apologize if I'm publishing a copycat thread but I've searched for myself and tried many of the solutions suggested to users that have had a similar problem but no light at the end of the tunnel so far, I'm kind of brokenhearted.

Anyway, my PC is made of the following hardware:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 (Msi ARMOR)
MoBo: MPG X570 Gaming Plus
RAM: 32GB (16x2) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3 750W
Cooling: Masterliquid ML240L
Storage: 2x SSD SanDisk Ultra 1TB Sata III

The pc works fine since day one, it just doesn't stand a workload heavier than minesweeper (or maybe even minesweeper would be too much, I still have to try).
There are two kind of outcomes it gives me based on the kind of stess:
  • It freezes (image frozen, no mouse or keyboard output) and audio stutters with a glitchy and creepy sound, and then in 5-10 seconds it comes back to life.
This happens even with ridiculous workloads like opening a video file, having some internet tabs opened at the same time, having youtube playing in the background.
  • It freezes (image frozen, mouse or keyboard might have output but I'm not sure since I'm blinded by the frozen screen) but audio keeps going on and there's no way to exit the frozen screen except for ctrl+alt+del.
This happens under major workloads like an AAA game starting a loading.

Any answer is welcome here, I'm totally desperate and clueless being this my first (and awful I'd say) PC build.
If the problem is a faulty component my only deadline is finding it out before Jan 31st because prior to that date I'd be able to return it.

Reactions: TanskiTee
Dec 28, 2019
Sounds like you tried almost everything. Not sure what to suggest other than start RMA ing components
Unfortunately to be eligible for refund I must return them before January 31st so I won't be able to do it one by one. The only solution I can see now (if Vic 40's suggestion of swapping RAM doesn't work) is bringing the whole pc to a repair shop to see if they can tell me which component is the guilty one :s

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Did you install the MSI supplied Realtek HD audio driver?

If so, and it is the Nahimic one, use DDU to uninstall it and restart this will let windows revert to the "default" Realtek HD driver.

I have the X570 MPG Gaming Edge and had the same glitchy digitized bleepy audio problem until I did the above.

Unfortunately for me, that was just one of a number of issues that resulted in my PSU being RMA'd.

Dec 28, 2019
Did you install the MSI supplied Realtek HD audio driver?

If so, and it is the Nahimic one, use DDU to uninstall it and restart this will let windows revert to the "default" Realtek HD driver.

I have the X570 MPG Gaming Edge and had the same glitchy digitized bleepy audio problem until I did the above.

Unfortunately for me, that was just one of a number of issues that resulted in my PSU being RMA'd.
That seemed a right one, but did not work for me

Dec 28, 2019
Technicians did they work. I've just collected my pc with a brand new GPU, they told me the one I had mounted was defective. Now I'm about to test if it really works.