Discussion Fried connector on modular psu.

Jul 20, 2019
I bought a rm850i and a 6 pin sata peripheral connector has one of the pins fried.
It will affect something?
Can be fixed?
Should i fix the connector if i dont use it.
Sry for my bad English thx.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
I suppose you mean the 6 pins on the cable side that connect to the back of the PSU ? or the pins on the back of the PSU ? would you show a picture ?

are you sure its fried or you mean its missing a pin ? because if you mean the cable , its normal that its missing a pin ( where you see the X )
D7M5mXc.png

Ralston18

Titan
If not needed, the cable could be left out. If the cable is needed you could get another/replacement cable.

However, if the PSU arrived with the cable and fried pin - return the PSU to seller/vendor.

There is no idea as to what happened to cause that fried pin and the entire PSU will always be suspect.

Now if you fried the pin then that is a different matter. What did you do? May or may not be recoverable.

But the problem remains the same: the PSU cannot be trusted and using it may damage other components.

If that has not already happened.

Jul 20, 2019
image;s=1000x700
I suppose you mean the 6 pins on the cable side that connect to the back of the PSU ? or the pins on the back of the PSU ? would you show a picture ?

are you sure its fried or you mean its missing a pin ? because if you mean the cable , its normal that its missing a pin ( where you see the X )
D7M5mXc.png

Jul 20, 2019
If not needed, the cable could be left out. If the cable is needed you could get another/replacement cable.

However, if the PSU arrived with the cable and fried pin - return the PSU to seller/vendor.

There is no idea as to what happened to cause that fried pin and the entire PSU will always be suspect.

Now if you fried the pin then that is a different matter. What did you do? May or may not be recoverable.

But the problem remains the same: the PSU cannot be trusted and using it may damage other components.

If that has not already happened.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
If it was used for mining rig or so , he may have been out of pcie connectors and decided to use an adaptor like molex 4pin to pcie connector , which overloaded the 12vpin here

sine you have bought it used then I guess you dont have a warranty , what are your current system configuration?

Jul 20, 2019
If it was used for mining rig or so , he may have been out of pcie connectors and decided to use an adaptor like molex 4pin to pcie connector , which overloaded the 12vpin here

sine you have bought it used then I guess you dont have a warranty , what are your current system configuration?
Gtx 1080 ryzen 7 3700x 16 bg ram corsair rgb pro
X470 aorus ultra gaming
1 ssd 240 kingston a400
1 hdd wd 1tb 7200
5 fans (including the cpu fan)
Case chougar panzer s

Jul 20, 2019

About the mining thing i dont think he used it for mining cuz he dont have any rigs or multiple graphics cards to sell.
I talked with him on the phone and he said that this was the last part of his sistem.
Idk man i have another deal with an seasonic gx 650.
What is worth buying??

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
troubleshooting is possible since you have online monitoring in this unit but you have an expensive system , i wouldn't take the risk to troubleshoot a used and defective psu or one that has been abused with a system like yours ,

buy a new psu , the gx650 is a great psu