Question Fried CPU or mobo?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ethanhannay

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
There was recently a power outage at my house that damaged my computer. At first I thought that it was only the power supply so I switched it out with another one to test my theory. Unfortunately that was not the issue. I wasn't receiving any kind of display output despite the all of my components receiving power, so I switched out the GPU to see if that did anything. It didn't. I can get my computer to post, but only when it wants to. I've gotten back into windows a couple of times but only when it wants to as well. The power button led lights up only occasionally, but when it does light up it usually posts, but only into safe mode where it tells me if I tweaked anything to revert it back to something stable. CPU and mobo are two components that I don't have spares of or know anyone who does, so I'm not sure if one or the other or maybe even both are toast. Safe mode post