Question Fried CPU,PSU or Motherboard?

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Hello there,2 days ago,my mom fried the PSU cable (somehow) when the PC was turned on ( I was away) and she heard a click,we found out it was the cable that failed and we changed it and it booted perfectly.
Though,after that,when I put the computer in sleep mode,it wouldn't post again saying there is a CPU failure and I had to restart the PC entirely using the power button.
More recently, I've found out that out of my 2x8GB ddr4 2133 MHz ram that worked like a charm before the incident,the 8 GBs were "hardware-reserved" and when I went to Speccy my ram was weirdly unknown and stating it was only 1066 MHz!.Being frustrated,I decided to power off the PC and change my ram from their respective slots to the opposite ones,my pc booted up,but still 8 GBs reserved,decided to turn off the PC and put the ram back to the slot it was,but now my PC wouldn't boot cause of a CPU-RAM failure as stated by my motherboard's EzDebug.And I was wondering wether this is a PSU failure cause of the click,wether my motherboard got fried and send a power surge that then fried the CPU or wether my CPU only got fried (as indicated by the unknown memory and the crash during boot from sleep state).I have another PSU but I fear if my motherboard is fried it will burn the new CPU that I ordered if I test it there,can you enlighten me on this one?
Thanks for your help,I am sorry if this is the wrong forum,but it wouldn't fit anywhere else in my view.
PC Specs:
Ryzen 3 1200 (CPU)
Toshiba P300 1TB (HDD)
MSI Tomahawk arctic B350 (M.B.)
Sapphire R9 Fury (GPU)
Xilence 630w performance A+ (PSU) (iirc)
2x8 GB g.skill 2133 MHZ DDR4 (RAM)

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
Even if it wasn't necessarily a PSU, that unit you have is complete garbage. It would cause a lot of problems on any rig. I would definitely suggest replacing with something of much higher quality like a Seasonic Focus or a Corsair RMX. Both of those would be huge improvements. A Fury is a very power hungry GPU and needs a solid stream of power to function properly.

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Even if it wasn't necessarily a PSU, that unit you have is complete garbage. It would cause a lot of problems on any rig. I would definitely suggest replacing with something of much higher quality like a Seasonic Focus or a Corsair RMX. Both of those would be huge improvements. A Fury is a very power hungry GPU and needs a solid stream of power to function properly.
But even if I buy a new PSU,can I be sure my MB won't be fried (I checked it visually and no capacitors are blown,but the chipset or voltage regulator might be) and thus it won't fry my new CPU?

g-unit1111

Titan
But even if I buy a new PSU,can I be sure my MB won't be fried (I checked it visually and no capacitors are blown,but the chipset or voltage regulator might be) and thus it won't fry my new CPU?

That's something I wouldn't be able to tell unless I had the system right in front of me. The one constant in your original post seems to indicate that the components aren't receiving the proper power that they need (think of it like putting spark plugs meant for a Kia Rio on a Corvette). The Fury is one of the more power hungry GPUs on the market. It needs a power draw of at least 300W from a quality supply. That Xilence PSU is among the lowest tier PSUs that are on the market and won't deliver the power that card needs. You need a strong power supply - something like the Seasonic Focus or Corsair RMX that I mentioned. What you could do is try another (better) PSU in the system first and if it still doesn't power, then I would start pointing fingers elsewhere.

Last edited:

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
That's something I wouldn't be able to tell unless I had the system right in front of me. The one constant in your original post seems to indicate that the components aren't receiving the proper power that they need (think of it like putting spark plugs meant for a Kia Rio on a Corvette). The Fury is one of the more power hungry GPUs on the market. It needs a power draw of at least 300W from a quality supply. That Xilence PSU is among the lowest tier PSUs that are on the market and won't deliver the power that card needs. You need a strong power supply - something like the Seasonic Focus or Corsair RMX that I mentioned. What you could do is try another (better) PSU in the system first and if it still doesn't power, then I would start pointing fingers elsewhere.
I think what I will do next is try the other power supply a thermaltake tr2 which is completely untouched and just plug in the mobo without the GPU and see if it solves the problem,if it does then I will probably not need a new mobo and order a seasonic 550w focus PSU right away.

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I won't use it as long term,just to see if the PSU was the culprit or both (PSU and Mobo) I'm just scared that if mobo is the problem as well it might burn the CPU I will put at it.

Do you have a motherboard speaker?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168122...re=motherboard_speaker-_-12-201-032-_-Product

If you do, pull all your ram out and try to boot up. If there is an infinite amount of beeps it's not reading your ram, which is correct. If you have a motherboard speaker (that you know works normally) and there are no beeps at all, something is wrong with your motherboard.

I agree with the other guy though, he zoomed in on low power to everything and that makes sense.

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Do you have a motherboard speaker?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168122...re=motherboard_speaker-_-12-201-032-_-Product

If you do, pull all your ram out and try to boot up. If there is an infinite amount of beeps it's not reading your ram, which is correct. If you have a motherboard speaker (that you know works normally) and there are no beeps at all, something is wrong with your motherboard.

I agree with the other guy though, he zoomed in on low power to everything and that makes sense.
I didn't try getting all ram out,but logically speaking, if the CPU is fried, the memory controller is fried,so it's the same.Im guessing that I will need to replace the motherboard too cause the VRM might have gotten fried from the power off and power on strangely... (although that's just a guess,I don't know an exact way of finding exactly anyhow).The PC ran fine with that PSU for like 2 years,it was always fine and worked like a charm,till as I said my mom decided to move that cable and fry it and along it took the CPU.But I wanna be sure wether I want to replace the CPU and PSU alone or the motherboard as well,every detail is included in the 1st post.

Reactions: Viorala

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
I didn't try getting all ram out,but logically speaking, if the CPU is fried, the memory controller is fried,so it's the same.Im guessing that I will need to replace the motherboard too cause the VRM might have gotten fried from the power off and power on strangely... (although that's just a guess,I don't know an exact way of finding exactly anyhow).The PC ran fine with that PSU for like 2 years,it was always fine and worked like a charm,till as I said my mom decided to move that cable and fry it and along it took the CPU.But I wanna be sure wether I want to replace the CPU and PSU alone or the motherboard as well,every detail is included in the 1st post.
Also,the motherboard's "ezdebug" indicator lights work,which indicate that the motherboard can detect the components and recognize if they work or not,so it might not be fried and only the CPU might be,but as I said I'm no expert and I don't wanna risk losing another CPU.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes but then again you're running an R9 Fury which is one of the more power hungry GPUs on the market. It's pretty difficult to screw up an AMD motherboard unless you really broke or bent something. A GOU like that needs a constant stream of power from a solid power source. And what you have as I said is very under powered.

You should make sure you have the ram in the correct slots as stated in the motherboards manual.

The 8GB reserved ram issue I have seen another post about it happening recently. It happened after a Windows update if I recall correctly. I think MS has dropped the ball a bit this year with their updates causing issues with people's systems.

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
You should make sure you have the ram in the correct slots as stated in the motherboards manual.

The 8GB reserved ram issue I have seen another post about it happening recently. It happened after a Windows update if I recall correctly. I think MS has dropped the ball a bit this year with their updates causing issues with people's systems.
Could be,but it's very suspicious that after all those years,and after this incident it happens,I suspect the CPU memory controller might have fried.When I put only the CPU in the socket and turn on the motherboard it says there is a CPU-RAM failure indicating it doesn't detect the CPU but now it doesn't also detect the RAM (no RAM installed,same output even if I install the 2 ram modules) which means it detects the CPU in-socket but the CPU itself fails to detect the ram.
The VRM modules seem fine,but sadly I can't find a datasheet of those R22 VRM modules.
In conclusion,I suspect it's something with the memory controller,it got fried cause of the PSU surge (I will change the PSU of course) and it died after like 3 restarts and after changing ram slots without any noise (strange!),the new CPU is underway,I will test it with a brand new PSU I have lying around (only CPU and Mobo,my motherboard has those EZDEBUG LEDs making my life easy) tho I fear that if one of those VRM modules is fried or something,my new CPU might get fried.

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
So it doesn't boot up at all at the moment? Kind of hard to follow what you are saying.
It doesn't boot,but it did boot before changing the ram from slots DIMMA to DIMMB,but the same result when I did that (8gb reserved),I put them back and now I had a CPU-RAM failure without anything indicating it just failed other than the EZDEBUG LEDs.
Most things point that the CPU is the fault,because when I put the CPU in the socket and power the motherboard on,it says it needs ram but that also the CPU has failed so that means there might be something with the CPUs memory controller but the CPU can be detected as seen by the ram led (on the motherboard) now turning on,but I'm not expert and I can't say for sure if the motherboard or CPU is now fried,if it's the motherboard's VRMs and I put on the new CPU I've ordered,I'm done for.

I'm not sure I would give so much weight to the EZ debug leds when booting without any installed ram.

If a PSU has failed and taken out something my first guess would be motherboard, second guess would be GPU and third would be CPU if that helps at all

nullgaminggr

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
I'm not sure I would give so much weight to the EZ debug leds when booting without any installed ram.

If a PSU has failed and taken out something my first guess would be motherboard, second guess would be GPU and third would be CPU if that helps at all
It had the same errors of CPU-RAM even with the RAM installed (of course it wouldn't boot up after changing back to its initial slots of DIMMA),the GPU might have gotten fried,but I don't think that's the case since after the "click" of my PSU and changing the PSU lead I could play games like warthunder at a stable frame without any artifacts at all,but I could notice the lack of memory cause I couldn't open many tabs and it freezed cause of the ram,and then I noticed that 8gbs were reserved and that Speccy indicated the ram as unknown,then I started theorising about my CPU being fried cause it's what controls and recognizes the ram first-hand,I think I also bought a new motherboard,but I also wanna be sure wether my Tomahawk arctic is still functional (it's a waste throwing away such a good motherboard),I have a multimeter at hand and can make any measurement.