Question Fried GPU with out being connected to PSU

Sep 22, 2021
I recently had a PSU failure ( EVGA 750w fully modular). Replaced with EVGA 750w none modular PSU. Before putting all the panels back on I did a test boot to make sure everything was plugged up. As soon as I hit the power button my GPU (EVGA GTX 1060) started arching and smoke. Computer shut itself off. I then noticed that I did not plug the GPu into the new PSU. So I am not sure how it was getting power without being hooked up to the new PSU. Any and all tips/testing is welcome. Thank you in advance

oh. Dang it could just have been my GPUs time to go. Im worried to put a new GPU in it and it fry.
Two concerns.
I would be concerned the motherboard got damaged due to excessive current as a result of the arcing.
....and I would also be concerned regarding that PSU.
I would....at the very least....check the voltages....before I connected it to anything else.

Reactions: Nigel Spike
Sep 22, 2021
New PSU is EVGA 750 N1 None modular.
Old PSU is EVGA supernova 750 G1 80+ gold 750w full modular. Had this power supply since 2016 and used in this new build for 1 year.

Sep 22, 2021
Two concerns.
I would be concerned the motherboard got damaged due to excessive current as a result of the arcing.
....and I would also be concerned regarding that PSU.
I would....at the very least....check the voltages....before I connected it to anything else.
Well from what i can do without a GPU it boots up and stays on with no issues.

Sep 22, 2021
A little back story on what happened. I was playing some Destiny 2 maybe about an hour then my PC just shut off. No blue scree or anything just complete power down and would not power back up.