[SOLVED] Fried Graphics Card?

Apr 30, 2020
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you could help me make a specific diagnosis of what happened to my GPU. A few weeks ago, I was playing an online game and suddenly the computer shut off. I tried turning it back on but nothing started up. I couldn't even get to the BIOS.

After some diagnostic work, I realized the GPU was the culprit. As long as I unplugged my GPU entirely (from both PSU and motherboard), my computer would boot just fine and I could use onboard graphics.

When I tried plugging my GPU back in to see if it would work, I left the case open and observed it. Upon hitting the power button on my computer, a spark shot out of my GPU. I noticed the spark came from the area where the PSU connects to the GPU. I later discovered there are indeed scorch marks on the GPU's circuit board in the area near the power connection.

I thought that the PSU could be the true culprit and tried using a different one with the GPU, but that didn't work either. However, the reason could have been that the GPU was already fried.

Basically, I'm wondering if you guys think this was ultimately a PSU problem (the PSU somehow fried the GPU, but not the rest of my components). Or whether the problem is solely with the GPU. If not the PSU, any ideas what specifically failed in my GPU to cause this issue?

PSU is a 650w SilverStone (about 15 years old, so maybe that's a factor).
GPU is Evga Geforce 970.

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, it's possible for it to work like it its now and not when the graphics card is connected. Reason being is that the graphics card requires far more current than just idling on the desktop.

In short, you need a new power supply. Give a budget and people can make recommendations.
Apr 30, 2020
It is Silverstone SST-ST65ZF 650w W/PFC

Also if it's helpful or interesting to know, the part of my GPU that is fried are these small components (capacitors?) labelled LB4, LB5, LB6...etc.

Last edited:
I would say it was a PSU fault. One of the main reasons you need to get a decent (And not ancient) PSU is so that it wont die. When a PSU dies, or begins to die, it can take other PC parts down with it, especially if it is a cheaper one. That being said, even if you can get the same PSU to keep working, I wouldnt trust it any longer, especially considering its age. You will need a new GPU, and for safety a PSU is best.

Apr 30, 2020
This PSU is high quality, that's for sure. Even if it truly is dead, it's lasted a solid 15 years. But is it possible for the PSU to be dead only in terms of supplying power to the GPU? Because I'm using the same PSU now, just without my GPU plugged in. Everything works fine. Seems like if it were dead, it wouldn't power my computer at all.

Yes, it's possible for it to work like it its now and not when the graphics card is connected. Reason being is that the graphics card requires far more current than just idling on the desktop.

In short, you need a new power supply. Give a budget and people can make recommendations.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS