Fried My Computer

shibby4555

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
First off hello, this is my first forum post although I use this site quite frequently.

Last night I fried my computer, maybe the motherboard, the cpu or the power supply. I had just upgraded my motherboard to the Asus Crosshair V Formula and AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz

Had just installed CUDA processing on BT5 and was batch processing a very large file on Pyrit when my computer fried, I could smell something burning. Now my motherboard doesn't post, the LEDs on the motherboard light up but thats it.

Obviously I'm going to RMA at the very least the motherboard and in the meantime buy a better power supply. But any idea what could have caused it? Don't want this to happen again. Granted, I was doing something very computing-intensive but my hardware is designed for this. I think its unbelievable. Is it just a faulty motherboard or power supply? Unlikely that it overheated, I've designated all of my components to shut down if it reaches 80C.

I have a feeling it was the power supply. 550W Logisys

Thanks

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Oh yeah, it's definitely the power supply. LOGISYS is a horrible company to buy a power supply from. As a rule: NEVER EVER skimp out on the power supply. The PSU is the "heart" of your computer, if it fails, it can fry your computer (in this case, it did). I would go with a trusted brand such as Antec, Corsair, FSP, or Seasonic.
This is a great Power supply for $60:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Another note: The 550W is only the maximum power the PSU can output, most times, it can't even get close. There is something called 80+ certification, meaning a power supply has been tested to be able to output at 80% efficiency at 20% and 100% loads.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
I really doubt it's the motherboard. ASUS is known to provide VERY high quality motherboards and they normally won't let you down. It's the PSUs fault because you were asking the PSU to provide power that it couldn't provide...the 550W is just there to look good, chances are, it's just a rebranded 250W PSU.