[SOLVED] Fried my PSU??

RobertLane

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
My boot drive SSD (which was less than a year old) failed on me. So today I replaced it with a new M.2 drive. I was putting everything back together, I booted it up and everything worked, except my computer didn't recognize some of my storage HDDs.

So, I took everything apart. I reconnected the sata data connectors and the sata power supply cables to the HDDs.. Reconnected the GPU.. Then, I grabbed something else that I THOUGHT was previously connected to the motherboard (some type of 4 pin connector). Well, I go to boot it up, and instantly there was a wall of SMOKE that filled the room... I immediately shut off the computer and looked to see what the problem was. Yep, it was that 4 pin connector.

So I removed one of the HDDs, tested it in another computer, it still worked.... And then I booted the computer and it still works too. Luckily. But I shut it off again, because I'm not really sure what to do now.

You see, that one cable (coming from the PSU) with the 4 pins is completely fried. My question is this: should I replace the PSU? Is there a chance my motherboard is partly fried? I don't want to turn that computer on again until I can figure out what I should do moving forward.

Solution
Is the 4-pin connector you grabbed the CPU power cord that connects to your motherboard in the top left corner? If so, then you may want to buy a new motherboard and PSU. That's what I would do to be on the safe side.

appletatoes

Honorable
Sep 3, 2017
Is the 4-pin connector you grabbed the CPU power cord that connects to your motherboard in the top left corner? If so, then you may want to buy a new motherboard and PSU. That's what I would do to be on the safe side.

Solution

RobertLane

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
So I have a MSI motherboard, and it was the "JFP2" port that I plugged it into, which apparently has something to do with an RGB setup. I screwed up by plugging in a 4 pin plug that was attached to the end of a string of molex adapters into that JFP2 port. I was going to quickly, and thought it was previously connected into there. Bad mistake.

With that being considered, what would you recommend now?

RobertLane

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Where did the wall of smoke come from?

Think i would replace psu since most likely source and test, but might well need to replace motherboard too.
It came from the 4 pin connector that was at the end of the strip of molex cables coming from the PSU. I believe I essentially plugged in a power source from the PSU into a power source on the motherboard.

I'm planning on replacing the PSU. Hopefully the motherboard is ok, but I won't plan on using that JFP2 input on the motherboard anymore.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You used a connector for a floppy drive, which hardly anyone still uses, can't think that gives such a "wall of smoke" alone. Why i said to replace psu.
Might well be that the motherboard is fried too, but hope not since you seem to have tested if it still started which it did if i'm not mistaken.

RobertLane

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
You used a connector for a floppy drive, which hardly anyone still uses, can't think that gives such a "wall of smoke" alone. Why i said to replace psu.
Might well be that the motherboard is fried too, but hope not since you seem to have tested if it still started which it did if i'm not mistaken.
Ah is that what it was? Ok. Oops.
Yeah I'm about to go get a new PSU. After that I'll test everything on the motherboard. It at least boots up though, so that's good. Hopefully I don't have to replace it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: RobertLane