Question Fried psu

Nov 10, 2018
I was playing a intenstive video game (Squad) when a loud poping noise cam from my computer and the computer shut down . There was also a distinct smell coming from the psu. This happened a few times (without the popping noise or smell) before but I thought it was because of overheating from my cpu so I reapplied thermal paste. The psu may have overheated because I placed the psu fan down 2 inches from carpet but idk if I should get a new psu. Photos: View: https://imgur.com/a/iu8e8rV

If a computer cuts-off at any time while under heavy loads, it is usually a matter of inadequate power supply, or inadequate thermal management.

As you have discovered, allowing the situation to continue unaddressed, results in permanent damage....and this occasion of damage may not be limited to just the power supply (something reasonably equal to the quality of a Corsair R or H series PSU), which is almost certainly toast.

Without even addressing the specific power requirements of your build, you should consider a replacement power supply of high quality manufacture, and having a power output rating in the 800 Watt region.

Additionally, the computer chassis should be located where is has unrestricted air flow in, out, and around the system. Putting gaming systems on a carpeted floor is ALWAYS a bad idea.

You can usually still smell the burnt smell well after the event.

Being you have the PSU out.....if it smells burnt...you know there's a problem.

I sniff around large machines for my job to find burnt components fairly often.

It works surprisingly well. Many times you can still smell the burnt smell months after a thermal event.

D

Deleted member 14196

replace the psu. hope nothing else delicious got fried... mmmm fried gpu... ahhhh (homer simpson)

InvalidError

Titan
If the by "smell" you mean burning metal, fiberglass or epoxy, I wouldn't be too surprised if lint from the carpet caused arcing somewhere on the HV side, burnt a track into the PCB and that has now caused something to blow, usually one (or more) of the primary-side FETs. If I'm correct, be glad the sparks didn't start the carpet on fire.

TRENDING THREADS