[SOLVED] Fried something in my laptop. Is it worth fixing?

Dec 27, 2020
I have an older Alienware laptop that I "fried" a couple years ago. I took an external DVD drive, plugged it into the USB port of the laptop. Then I put the wrong AC adapter into the DVD drive. BOOM! instantly killed the laptop. Is it a cheap hardware replacement, or would it be a whole motherboard situation?

I have another Alienware laptop already, so it's not like I'm willing to spend an arm and a leg to get it fixed, I just need an extra laptop for my business, and am exploring if it would be cheaper just to buy a cheap laptop as opposed to getting this one fixed. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Solution
If it's worth fixing would be up to you, the age and specs of the laptop, how much a new motherboard costs, what specs you need a replacemement to have, etc...

A basic use used laptop can be found for under $200, many with an SSD in it. ThinkPads are probably the best quality ones to get, T430/440/450 should be in the 150-200 range in good shape.
I have an older Alienware laptop that I "fried" a couple years ago. I took an external DVD drive, plugged it into the USB port of the laptop. Then I put the wrong AC adapter into the DVD drive. BOOM! instantly killed the laptop. Is it a cheap hardware replacement, or would it be a whole motherboard situation?

I have another Alienware laptop already, so it's not like I'm willing to spend an arm and a leg to get it fixed, I just need an extra laptop for my business, and am exploring if it would be cheaper just to buy a cheap laptop as opposed to getting this one fixed. Any suggestions are appreciated!
You should check the motherboard for blown fuses or capacitors. It could be a matter of replacing said component (a few cents + some dexterity with a soldering iron) in which case you really should try the repair. I did a couple such repairs myself, sometimes it didn't work (I wasted a few hours taking the system apart) and sometimes I got myself a working system (a laptop for $0.30 and a couple hours work is a big win AFAIC).

If it's worth fixing would be up to you, the age and specs of the laptop, how much a new motherboard costs, what specs you need a replacemement to have, etc...

A basic use used laptop can be found for under $200, many with an SSD in it. ThinkPads are probably the best quality ones to get, T430/440/450 should be in the 150-200 range in good shape.

Solution