[SOLVED] Fried something on my motherboard

MARV23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
So im overclocking my cpu and i made three long wires that is connected to cmos reset so that i can easily reset bios when it wont boot,i forgot to hold the wires that caused them to get loose and the middle one touched the case, i saw some smoke and my pc reboots, my pc still works and everything is fine from thermals to stability, i burn test my gpu and cpu and both of them are working fine with the same thermals as before so is it okay to use it even something fried already looked at the motherboard and i didn't see any burned components

Solution
Hopefully the smoke was just from some overheated insulation on one of the wires. Or maybe dust or other coating that got hot from the current flow.

And not a component (resistor, capacitor, transistor, etc.) per se.

But there could be some hidden damage or partial damage that may cause permanent failure if there is another such incident.

If so what may happen as a result of another incident or some other problem is unknown.

Just be sure that all data is backed up and verified recoverable and readable.

You should also abandon your "reset" procedure.

What led you to using three wires and how are you connecting them?

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully the smoke was just from some overheated insulation on one of the wires. Or maybe dust or other coating that got hot from the current flow.

But there could be some hidden damage or partial damage that may cause permanent failure if there is another such incident.

If so what may happen as a result of another incident or some other problem is unknown.

Solution

MARV23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

The clr_cmos has three metal spikes and and two of them has a jumper.

You move the jumper to the other side to reset the cmos then move it back to make it work again, it was blocked by my gpu that's why i used wires with a two way switch to redirect flow to both sides.

After that incident, im no longer planning on using that method.

TRENDING THREADS