Question Fried SSD Circuitry: Worth it to RMA or salvage?

Jun 8, 2019
Hi all:

Yes, it happened. I learned the hard way. After plugging in a power supply cable from another manufacturer and connecting my SSD, the drive fried. With a round of investigation, it looks like all of the voltages were moved around. Here are the two configs:
ZzH4vBh.png

The unfortunate part is the data on the drive is (or was) important to me. Is there any use in sending it to the manufacturer for an RMA? Would I be better off contacting a data recovery business? I peeked at the board and the actual NAND chips look in tact; the rest of the board, though, is pretty busted.

Should I just accept my failure and move on? This thread says that I should, but I wanted to confirm before I sent my drive across the country to end up with an answer I could have gotten here (also, maybe the specific pinout discrepancies would result in a different verdict).

And yes, I will never make this mistake ever again.

USAFRet

Titan
Data recovery? Highly unlikely, and that is what your personal backups are for.

RMA? Even if they authorize it, it won't get your data back.
And the warranty does not cover you plugging it in wrong. You can try for a new drive, maybe.

Your first mistake was not having a full drive backup.
You should always operate on the principle that your drive is never more than 0.25 sec away from dying completely.

Your second mistake was using cables for one modular PSU with a different PSU.

it's gone... the classic 'wrong PSU cables' scenario strikes SSDs yet again :(

but, ....
if you had a stash of a few $8,000 bitcoin stored there, etc., you can at least investigate the potential cost for actual moving/transplant via desoldering of RAM chips onto a fresh donor board, but, ....bring you wallet!

Check Louis Rossman, or 300 data Recovery, etc.... (Naturally, there will likely be no mere $300 cost for recovery for SSDs requiring transplant of 8-12 IC's)