Fried USB Ports, Inability to boot, even in safemode...

austin.wannemacher

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
Hello!
I believe that my motherboard has been unfortunately fried, not completely, but to the point that it is not functional. I can no longer boot long enough to do as much as login, even in safemode after a clean install of Windows 10. It started a while ago, when I had put my computer to sleep.

After it had went to sleep, I heard a very slight popping noise, but was unaware of the severity of it, I didn't even notice it had come from my PC at first. The next morning, I had tried to use my computer and most of my peripherals were unresponsive, receiving power, but no data between the port and the device. It had only gotten worse from there. I had bought an expansion card (PCIe) for 4 USB 3.0 ports, and they work wonderfully, but the 3.0 ports on the back of my PC (on the mobo) were dead, besides power, and a very rare connect and quick disconnect with data.

Then, a few nights back, I had received new RAM (2x8GB Team Dark DDR3) and put it to work immediately. Soon, a day later, my computer crashed, and failed to boot entirely. I could occasionally get into the BIOS, but it would immediately freeze up, and wouldn't respond to anything but a hard restart (holding power, switch on PSU, or unplugging entirely). Within the BIOS, it began showing red dots (artifacting?). I had kept trying, and I thought my GPU was dead, this was not the case. I went as far as trying the old-fashioned oven-trick. Baking my GPU, what was I thinking?

The GPU is, in fact, still 100% functional, and the temps are better than ever due to excess thermal compound and a great cleaning. I tested it in a different build, and to my surprise, the 'broken' GPU worked fine. This began raising my suspicions of the motherboard being bad even further, and when I had switched the GPU in my main PC, I could only boot into safemode and couldn't do anything much, as it would crash and give me memory errors (almost instantly), which lead me to believe the RAM was faulty, but I believe it isn't? I had just gotten it before this all had started happening though. This lead me to the conclusion(s) that either: a. Motherboard's dying; or b. PSU is killing my components.

I am at a loss, I am unsure of how to test the power supply, and I am almost assuming that the issue is the motherboard.

Sorry for the long(-ish) read!

Long story short (medium?): How do I test a PSU, and how do I know if my motherboard is the culprit? Also, what do you think about the new RAM causing any of this?

* I had my CPU and RAM overclocked, but reset via the pins and CMOS battery, which worked, but nonetheless, I had no success in booting. I've already tried reinstalling Windows, but ~40% through the install, no matter what I do, it crashes with a BSOD, usually about memory.

One odd phenomenon: I wasn't touching anything when I was removing my RAM (the new RAM), besides the RAM, and as I was pulling it out, the PC started up without warning.

Unsure on what to do next, but any help is appreciated!

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Eight-core).
GPU: GTX 970.
Motherboard: ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura.
PSU: Thermaltake 650W 80+ Bronze Certified.
RAM: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 @1600, Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 @1600.
My main drive is a Kingston SSD, and I have two 1tb drives, and one 3tb drive for other files.

If I'm missing something really stupid here, sorry, but I've been trying to diagnose this for days and I'm officially at a loss. I just hope that it's only either the PSU or motherboard because I cannot afford an entirely new build.

Thanks in advance (and for reading this short novel),
Austin.

Solution
How do I test a PSU
Using the paper clip method http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

how do I know if my motherboard is the culprit?
You cn test this: remove all the RAM, boot device and HDD too, clear the CMOS, boot the PC. If the PC can't boot, either the cpu or MB has problem, because you did test the GPU in other PC. If the PC can boot, that means the RAM may have problem.

Usually if the USB ports burned, you should get the new MB, because you never know that will cause any problem later or not.
How do I test a PSU
Using the paper clip method http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

how do I know if my motherboard is the culprit?
You cn test this: remove all the RAM, boot device and HDD too, clear the CMOS, boot the PC. If the PC can't boot, either the cpu or MB has problem, because you did test the GPU in other PC. If the PC can boot, that means the RAM may have problem.

Usually if the USB ports burned, you should get the new MB, because you never know that will cause any problem later or not.

Solution

austin.wannemacher

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

As it turns out, after all of this time, somehow my 24-pin got loosened, and was the culprit, not sending enough power at times, until I reseated it, which instantly solved all of these issues. I feel stupid now :lol: it was really simple, but 2 of my 3.0 usb ports remain fried unfortunately. Guess I'll need a new mobo soon anyways. It was an interesting find to find out that a slightly loose 24-pin can cause all of the weird phenomenons that I witnessed.

TRENDING THREADS