[SOLVED] Fried VRM

Feb 11, 2020
So i have fried the vrm on my motherboard and want to know if it could have fried any of my other components,
im mainly concerned about my psu as i dont want to buy a new board just to find out that my psu is dead and risk frying anything else.

Solution
The VRMs specifically control power to the CPU and memory. If your VRMs fried chances are they may have damaged both the CPU and the RAM on their way out. It would not have damaged your GPU or PSU, no chance.

I wouldn't have bought that new FX board, as you may need to replace both the CPU and RAM, and tbh FX is so dead and obsolete, you're better off getting a Ryzen, board, and ram. Even the lowest Ryzen 3 1200 will demolish the FX 8320 in gaming.
Feb 11, 2020
I think that most likely if the VRM fried.....the damage would be downstream....as in....the motherboard etc.....not the PSU.

Also....if it's a decent PSU....it should be protected from just about anything the VRM could throw at it.
its a corsair vs450w, i was also reading that it is possibe that the cpu, gpu and ram can be killed by a fried vrm

Feb 11, 2020
I think that if a VRM fails in certain ways, it might be possible for the output voltage to go high and if that happens.....then yes....all of those things can be killed.

....and from what I've read, that's not a bad PSU.
Well when it failed I didn't know at the time so me being stupid I decided to let it sit for a while because I assumed it had just overheated, so once I came to turn it back on nothing happend no fans where spining just a big spark came from the board, so I don't know maybe the CPU is fired also, I can't tell

Feb 11, 2020
It's possible that when it failed...the voltage didn't go high.....in which case....I wouldn't expect damage. There's no way to know without testing those components.....but I think that most likely the PSU is fine.
I sure hope so, I had a FX 8320 paired with a crappy ECS board it was just a matter of time before a vrm blew but now I've got Asus m5a97 evo2 on the way which is a 8 phase board so if everything is still working I should have no problems with overheating and thermal throttling

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The VRMs specifically control power to the CPU and memory. If your VRMs fried chances are they may have damaged both the CPU and the RAM on their way out. It would not have damaged your GPU or PSU, no chance.

I wouldn't have bought that new FX board, as you may need to replace both the CPU and RAM, and tbh FX is so dead and obsolete, you're better off getting a Ryzen, board, and ram. Even the lowest Ryzen 3 1200 will demolish the FX 8320 in gaming.

Solution
Feb 11, 2020

Yea I know ryzen is alot better but I haven't got money to upgrade at the moment, also is it 100% that my ram and CPU are gone or is just a possibility because I had a very weak motherboard

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yea I know ryzen is alot better but I haven't got money to upgrade at the moment, also is it 100% that my ram and CPU are gone or is just a possibility because I had a very weak motherboard

No its not 100%, but if something was going to be damaged, those would be the components that COULD be damaged. My point is you're throwing good money after bad by replacing the board. Just take a break and save up some cash for a real upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 11, 2020
No its not 100%, but if something was going to be damaged, those would be the components that COULD be damaged. My point is you're throwing good money after bad by replacing the board. Just take a break and save up some cash for a real upgrade. Just my 2 cents.
Yea Im going to, I found the ryzen 3 1200, gigabyte a320m and 8gb of ddr4 ram all up for 220 so I'll save up for that but until then I'm just gonna hope that when this motherboard arrives that the CPU and ram are still working