[SOLVED] Friend gets a continuous mild shock from my PC case

A friend was gifted components from a friend-in-common. Only component missing was a power supply. She ventures to Micro Center and purchases a brand new PowerSpec (micro center branded) power supply. She successfully connects the power supply to the components and powers it on.

Problem: She gets a continuous mild shock from the back of the PC case. At my urging, she got a ground tester from Home Depot and verified that her outlets are grounded properly. She also promises that the case stand-offs are in the correct location. What should she check next?

Last edited:
Solution
So, it's easy to screw this up.

When they paint the PSU housings, they have to mask off the threaded hole for the ground wire that keeps the whole system grounded. If they fail to mask that off, the paint will act as an insulator.

Another issue could be where they solder the plug terminals. A little too much solder and it's not enough to create a short, but power is jumping across the terminals and causing the housing to be slightly electrified.

Either way, it's a defective PSU and needs to be returned.
I'd say...between the power cord and the PSU...I'd say faulty PSU....as faulty power cords are rare.

This is how you check the PSU.
There should be a short between the ground prong on the back of the PSU and the case of the PSU. You can check this with a multimeter.

So, it's easy to screw this up.

When they paint the PSU housings, they have to mask off the threaded hole for the ground wire that keeps the whole system grounded. If they fail to mask that off, the paint will act as an insulator.

Another issue could be where they solder the plug terminals. A little too much solder and it's not enough to create a short, but power is jumping across the terminals and causing the housing to be slightly electrified.

Either way, it's a defective PSU and needs to be returned.

Reactions: rcald2000
Solution