[SOLVED] Friend got a new PC, no boot

itsJonny

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
FIXED!! PSU pins weren't plugged in all the way.

Hey guys, I'm trying to help my buddy out who got a brand new PC from iBuyPower (he's emailing them too, but their support is slow so I'm trying to get as much support as possible)

At first, he thought that that monitor he got was broken, because DP wouldn't work, and also HDMI wouldn't work. He was getting no display.
I then told him to plug his cable from his old laptop into his monitor, and surprise, it worked.

So we found out his monitor worked and his cables work fine, but when he goes to turn his brand new desktop on, no LED's turn on (should have GPU, RAM, and cooling fan RGB)
and he said the only lights he sees are 2 little dots that signify the PSU is plugged into the GPU.

Did he receive a defective GPU/PSU?
Like I said, he is contacting their support team and has a warranty on it thankfully, just trying to help him out and not wait 2 days for support to reply.

Thank you for everybody who comments :)

Last edited:
Solution
Does it power up fully, just not POSTing? I'm guessing a RAM module may have popped loose during shipping. I'd have a look at GPU, and a quick check of all the cable connections if they feel comfortable doing so. RGB stuff usually doesn't light up until after POST in my experience.
Does it power up fully, just not POSTing? I'm guessing a RAM module may have popped loose during shipping. I'd have a look at GPU, and a quick check of all the cable connections if they feel comfortable doing so. RGB stuff usually doesn't light up until after POST in my experience.

Solution

itsJonny

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015

First off....brand new prebuilt, do NOT go too deep into fixing things.

What happens exactly when you hit the power button?

Hey guys, I told him to triple check all of his wires and he sent me a picture of the PSU not being plugged in all the way and he re-seated it and it powers on fine.

This man makes me shake my head because I told him to do all of this stuff and he said he did :tearsofjoy:

Thank you!!
Please close this thread :)