Question Friend has a problem with 144hz monitor.

jrrebane

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
Problem: He has a AOC monitor that's set to 144hz and it makes his PC lag. He has pretty decent specs for a PC that's a few years old, IMO it shouldn't have problems running 144hz. It's not only display lag, but it also lags when we are in TeamSpeak, like it cuts off sentences. I've tried to find solutions to it, to a point where I recommended he buy a new PC, but he doesn't want to do it unless he needs to. He tried a different monitor on 60hz and it was fine, he tried it on the same monitor on 60hz and it was fine

SPECS:
CPU: Intel I7-6700K
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo
RAM: Kingston 16GB kit
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

Ralston18

Titan
This: "a PC that's a few years old ".

PSU: make, model, wattage, actual age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time. Run as admin.

First observe while doing things that do not lag. Then observe while doing things that do lag.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when a lag happens.

Both tools allow column sorting by clicking the small upward downward pointing "arrows" in the column headers.

Another tool that can help is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer