[SOLVED] Friend has great internet, but terrible latency in games. I don't, using the same exact network

Nov 1, 2018
Not sure what to make of this...

My friend has supposedly a great internet connection (google speed test shows ping 4ms, download 288.83 Mbps, upload 167.59 Mbps). But he has terrible latency in online games, and I don't, even though I use the same connection. The other day, we were both playing the same game, same server, both playing on the 5G band of our wifi (I have a PCIe wireless card and he uses a USB adapter, but I don't think that matters), but he was rubberbanding all over the place and my connection was essentially flawless. We made sure nothing was downloading in the background on his device, and I used task manager to be sure about that - nothing else had network activity. We also tried switching one of our connections to the 2.4G band, which didn't make a difference, and he tried playing the game by himself later without my computer even on and had the same issues (we made sure his ping site was set correctly in-game, which it was).

All I can think is somehow something is throttling his connection for certain programs somehow, but I'm pretty clueless about this kind of thing... any thoughts are welcome.

Solution
...both playing on the 5G band of our wifi (I have a PCIe wireless card and he uses a USB adapter, but I don't think that matters)...
This is most likely where the problem lies. Wireless connections can be a bit unreliable for online gaming to begin with, and if his adapter is getting a poor signal, performance is going to suffer. If it's possible to plug his computer directly into the network using an ethernet cable, test that and see if it make a difference.
I have a PCIe wireless card and he uses a USB adapter, but I don't think that matters
Why would you say that? A PCIe WIFI card will typically come with an antenna, and a simple USB dongle is sold for portability purposes. An antenna will make a difference, but u don't have to take my word for it, get some HARD NUMBERS dude, do u know how to use PING? tells you what latency u got.

...both playing on the 5G band of our wifi (I have a PCIe wireless card and he uses a USB adapter, but I don't think that matters)...
This is most likely where the problem lies. Wireless connections can be a bit unreliable for online gaming to begin with, and if his adapter is getting a poor signal, performance is going to suffer. If it's possible to plug his computer directly into the network using an ethernet cable, test that and see if it make a difference.

Solution
Nov 1, 2018
get some HARD NUMBERS dude, do u know how to use PING? tells you what latency u got.

When I was checking to make sure he was connected to the correct server site in-game, it showed 45ms ping, which, while not amazing, definitely is not bad enough to cause the amount of rubberbanding that it did.

Also - he has a higher-end USB adapter. It gets higher speeds than my PCIe card (at least on speed test).