Prominent
Apr 2, 2020
Specs:
CPU: I5 9600k
Motherboard: MSI Z390 -A Pro
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB
Power Supply: 750W
Video Card: EVGA 1060 6GB

My friend just updated his pc from an amd fx 8320 with the old motherboard and ram to the new parts listed above. Originally the pc would not boot at all, and due to a thread on this website we found it was due to another motherboard not being compatible with the 9600k. So my friend bought the Z390, put it together and now it does boot, however there is now no connection to both monitors, when plugging into both the gpu and motherboard. After doing some research online, it seems there is many people with this problem with these same 3 parts for cpu, gpu, and mobo. I just wanted to see if any of you on tom's have a solution for this. Thank you!

Solution
Updating mobo BIOS WITHOUT the graphics card in place may be a good idea. But you should verify the following to make it work on the added graphics card.

MSI makes several Z390 mobos, but I looked at the manual for the Z390-A Pro. If that's not exactly your card, it will be similar for what I'm saying.

1. Right after you update the BIOS with the video card NOT installed so your monitor is connected to the mobo's rear panel output, go into BIOS Setup and go to the EXIT Menu. See manual p. 55 and select the Restore Defaults option to ensure a complete set of working settings. Return to the Main Menu, Advanced Mode.
  2. See p. 45-46. Select Settings ... Advanced and scroll down to Integrated Graphics Configuration (p. 48-9). Set...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Updating mobo BIOS WITHOUT the graphics card in place may be a good idea. But you should verify the following to make it work on the added graphics card.

MSI makes several Z390 mobos, but I looked at the manual for the Z390-A Pro. If that's not exactly your card, it will be similar for what I'm saying.

1. Right after you update the BIOS with the video card NOT installed so your monitor is connected to the mobo's rear panel output, go into BIOS Setup and go to the EXIT Menu. See manual p. 55 and select the Restore Defaults option to ensure a complete set of working settings. Return to the Main Menu, Advanced Mode.
  2. See p. 45-46. Select Settings ... Advanced and scroll down to Integrated Graphics Configuration (p. 48-9). Set Initiate Graphics Adapter to PEG to use the added graphics card. Unless you plan to use a multi-monitor arrangement with the CPU-based Integrated Graphics, set IGD Multi-Monitor to Disabled. Back out to the Main Menu.
  3. Go into the Boot Device Priority system. Set the sequence of boot devices you want to use, and do not include any item that you do NOT want tried for booting. Return to Main Menu. Do not try to make any other big changes like overclocking or anything.
  4. Use the F10 key to reach the Exit Menu (see p. 55. There choose to Save Changes and Reboot. But as soon as the reboot process starts, SHUT DOWN, do not reboot.
  5. Disconnect power, open the case, and install your video card. Connect the cable to yourmonitor to the video card output socket. Close up the case, reconnect power, and turn on. The system should boot and show you display on the monitor from the video card. It will probably detect the existence of a new device (the card) and start loading drivers for it. Follow the instructions that came with your video card about how to get the correct drivers installd for it and set your preferred display resolution, etc. This probably also will arrange to have SOUND from your system come out of the VIDEO card on the HDMI cable to your Monitor. If that is not your plan (if you plan other sound output arrangements) post back here for advice on how to change that.

Solution