Question Friend wants IT advice on his Hard Drives

Jessica360

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
I was talking with my friend who wants to know the best way to use his storage. He says he wants (out of the following list) a backup drive to back up his important photos and documents, and he wants to only add games to his SSD that really need the speed. Here's his devices:
  • 1TB Local Disc Drive - On his PC
  • 2TB Desktop HD - Slow and uses a power outlet so would like to use this as a back up and have it not connected to PC for protection
  • 2TB SSD - For games that need speed
  • 4TB HD - Would like to back up important pictures and documents
Is there any advice as to how to achieve this? Or a plan that might help in backing up everything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 😁

I was talking with my friend who wants to know the best way to use his storage. He says he wants (out of the following list) a backup drive to back up his important photos and documents, and he wants to only add games to his SSD that really need the speed. Here's his devices:
  • 1TB Local Disc Drive - On his PC
  • 2TB Desktop HD - Slow and uses a power outlet so would like to use this as a back up and have it not connected to PC for protection
  • 2TB SSD - For games that need speed
  • 4TB HD - Would like to back up important pictures and documents
Is there any advice as to how to achieve this? Or a plan that might help in backing up everything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! 😁
Keep both SSDs connected and for holding and backing up files on HDDs you can use one of following methods:
Best but most expensive option would be to put both HDDs in a NAS (Network Attached Storage) connected trough a router. That way it could be connected all the time and accessed from OS or a program on demand only.
Similar but less flexible(and cheaper) a 2 disk enclosure connected to PC by USB (best and fastest by USB3). access to disks can also be controlled by OS by disabling/enabling USB port they are connected to. but there ar no programs I know off that can do it automatically like NAS. Such enclosures have own power supply and a switch to turn on or off manually.
Another one is to have each disk in own USB enclosure which work same way.
Yet another option is to have USB to SATA adapter/disk station in which you can insert disks when needed. They also have own power and switches and and if disks are set to as as removable plugged in and out live.
Another option is to keep one or both of them connected inside PC but restrict their access by hiding and un-hiding them thru OS. That would keep them safe from malware and accidental deletion.
Beside just manually copying files to be backed up ther are plenty of backup SW of which (in my opinion) is Macrium Reflect. it can be set to automatically back up whole disk, just chosen folders to any disk currently available. It has 3 modes, full backup or incremental or differential both of which back up just what is different since last backup and make much smaller files. Visit Macrium Reflect site for detailed instructions.