[SOLVED] Friend who built my pc screwed me over

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Basically my “friend” claimed he knew a lot about pcs and building them and wanted me to get one so he could have someone to play with consistently and rushed me into getting one. Now I’m having multiple people telling me all the issues with my build like my PSU possibly not being reliable, my ram being too slow, my temps are too high, my case has terrible airflow, my motherboard isn’t good for my cpu, and so much more. I know this is my fault and I have no one to blame but myself. Could some people please i beg, tell me exactly what I should upgrade and switch out? My pc was built by my local computer store where I also bought all the parts 1 month ago meaning all parts are sadly no refundable.

link to my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/86vXcq

Solution
Okay, things are not as bad as they look and you have learned something and yes it is appaling as you have been misold and I am being kind here,....The 9700K matched to the RTX 2060 Super will do a great job on gaming and with a few changes you should be fine. Right now everything should work well and even though the PSU is not the greatest quality it should be more than fine.

Do this in steps!

Cooling, a better case with good airflow would really help on the cooling front and I would also make sure the CPU cooler is on properly so reinstall with new thermal paste. Lots of Youtube sites show you how to do this and it is not difficult at all. The Hyper 212 should be fine for stock no overclocked performance.

As to the case, something...

DSzymborski

Titan
Most questionable there is NVME 1TB drive for $640! If you really payed that much, then it's $450 right in the dumpster. Even 970 evo (one of best nvme drives out there) 1TB costs less than $200.

And questionable PSU, of course.

So change PSU first. Then may be get a better case and better cpu cooler. Other than that it's perfectly fine build.

I'm sure it wasn't $640 at the time! That's just the vagaries of using PC Part Picker to demonstrate parts your previously purchased rather than parts you're going purchase.

For example, I'm sure nobody paid this for this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600T 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($807.54 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($1468.15 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($651.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card ($5967.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($878.62 @ Amazon)
Total: $9772.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-12 10:44 EDT-0400

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
I'm sure it wasn't $640 at the time! That's just the vagaries of using PC Part Picker to demonstrate parts your previously purchased rather than parts you're going purchase.

For example, I'm sure nobody paid this for this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600T 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($807.54 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX H270F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($1468.15 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($651.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Video Card ($5967.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($878.62 @ Amazon)
Total: $9772.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-12 10:44 EDT-0400
haha, it is for damn sure a sneaky and nice way to show that your raking in the money tho and u dont have to care for each dollar spent lmao

DSzymborski

Titan
OP, some of the choices are confusing, but it's really not as doom-and-gloom as you feel right now. Replace the PSU and fix the cooling system and you have a perfectly serviceable system with a weird motherboard choice. The most expensive items, the CPU and GPU, are just fine.

Your friend could have had you build an FX-9590 build, so it could be way worse. We've seen that before here!

DSzymborski

Titan
haha, it is for damn sure a sneaky and nice way to show that your raking in the money tho and u dont have to care for each dollar spent lmao

Greg Salazar on YouTube likes to tear about some of the eBay/Craigslist PC sales that take advantage of this. A common trick is to do stuff like this with your old parts and then try to scam someone into buying your FX-8350/HD 7950 rig for $2500.

Reactions: Phaaze88

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
OP, some of the choices are confusing, but it's really not as doom-and-gloom as you feel right now. Replace the PSU and fix the cooling system and you have a perfectly serviceable system with a weird motherboard choice. The most expensive items, the CPU and GPU, are just fine.

Your friend could have had you build an FX-9590 build, so it could be way worse. We've seen that before here!
any recommendations for fixing the cooling system? new case? more fans? new cpu cooler? anything helps haha

grebgonebad

Distinguished
For a $1700+ build there's definitely some questionable choices that've been made. Seems to me like your 'friend' just saw a chance to spend a lot of someone else's money on something he enjoys doing without any real consequences to the outcome. If this is the first time they've done something like this I wouldn't let it ruin your friendship, but I'd definitely have a chat with them at some point and make it clear that you're not happy with what they've done.

That being said it's not a terrible rig. Nothing that a little TLC and following some of the suggestions already made in this thread won't fix.

Reactions: thebilaljunejo
Status
Not open for further replies.