Question Friend's GTX 770 might be dying, advice on what else I can do to test it?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
My friend told me he was having issues with his PC crashing or just getting "stuck" for about a minute. He thinks it's the GPU, and from what he described (Basically random parts of the screen stop updating, especially if it's a YouTube video or playing a 3D game) it sounds like it to me too.

I helped him update his pretty outdated drivers about a week ago over the phone just in case it was just a driver issue and it seems to have fixed the problem, but he contacted me again today and said it started happening again.

I might be able to visit him tomorrow to take a look in person, and I am trying to get advice on what else I can try to attempt to see if it's the GPU or not. I know I can perform a ram test top make sure it's not the RAM, use Prime95 and OCCT to make sure it's not the CPU, and use OCCT and Furmark to stress the GPU to see if that's the issue.

But beyond that, I am not sure else else I can try to test the GPU and see if it's faulty or not. Any advice on what else I can try?

My friend told me he was having issues with his PC crashing or just getting "stuck" for about a minute. He thinks it's the GPU, and from what he described (Basically random parts of the screen stop updating, especially if it's a YouTube video or playing a 3D game) it sounds like it to me too.

I helped him update his pretty outdated drivers about a week ago over the phone just in case it was just a driver issue and it seems to have fixed the problem, but he contacted me again today and said it started happening again.

I might be able to visit him tomorrow to take a look in person, and I am trying to get advice on what else I can try to attempt to see if it's the GPU or not. I know I can perform a ram test top make sure it's not the RAM, use Prime95 and OCCT to make sure it's not the CPU, and use OCCT and Furmark to stress the GPU to see if that's the issue.

But beyond that, I am not sure else else I can try to test the GPU and see if it's faulty or not. Any advice on what else I can try?
if the ram test and cpu test pass, and gpu didnt, then pretty much its the gpu. which gtx 770 brand and series btw?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Finally got one, here's the screenshot.

D9UHIsa.png

Finally got one, here's the screenshot.

D9UHIsa.png
Try to reflash the bios using nvlflash, here is the bios (with the latest GOP driver) and reboot, disconnect from internet then uninstall driver with ddu with the option clean and do not restart, and immidiately install the latest driver for that card.

Also, full clean the card (heatsinks and fins, fans, repaste, re thermal pad if there is any using the correct thickness, blow all components from dust) and see if it give any difference.

Last edited:

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Is there any way I can download that BIOS from Gigabyte's website or something to verify? That's a random discord link.

Feels odd to try to fix a GPU by flashing the bios though, isn't that only for if there is a defect or you need to repurpose the card or something?

Is there any way I can download that BIOS from Gigabyte's website or something to verify? That's a random discord link.

Feels odd to try to fix a GPU by flashing the bios though, isn't that only for if there is a defect or you need to repurpose the card or something?
That bios is uploaded through my personal discord server for archive purpose (since some web could only do links instead uploading file), that is the very same bios from here. My uploaded bios on discord does have the latest GOP driver in the bios (2017 for kepler), while the original ones still at 2013 GOP driver.

Also yes, you could try to reflash my uploaded bios and see if it's working since sometimes bios is corrupted through times and reflash it might fix it.

Then after reflashing, you can do total clean the gpu and making it almost like new with little to no dust etc. to see if there is any defective on the soldering mold etc. and trying to make it as clean as possible, repaste and repad (if there is thermal pad), blow heatsink fins from dust and the fans too, so that it would be clean like new.

Reactions: Cyber_Akuma

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Well, just got back, and it's definitely the GPU unfortunately.

When I got there I was about to run Furmark and the very first thing that happened was my window turned into a black checkerboard pattern, and then the whole screen did that. He claimed it had never particularly done that before. The effect was very reminiscent of a VRAM issue though. Furmark itself strangely worked fine, and the GPU according to MSI Afterburner never went past 79C (Although I don't know of a way to monitor VRAM temps). Playing YouTube videos would blank the screen for a second when the video first loads, the screen would occasionally just freeze even when the computer is still continuing fine in the background, and during one of the games he was playing there was shimmering pixels and vertex explosions.

I tried flashing the BIOS, opening up the PC and cleaning everything out with air, including taking the card out and clearing out all the dust, and just to be safe also ran Memtest86+, Prime95, and a virus scan. All unsurprisingly had no effect.

If it's the solder I don't have the skills or equipment to fix that, looks like we might have to buy a replacement GPU. I was trying to see what options there would be for around $100 and it seems if we can get lucky we might be able to get a GTX 1060, at least for now until he can maybe afford a new GPU in 1-2 years. Would a 1060 be a good choice for around $100?

Well, just got back, and it's definitely the GPU unfortunately.

When I got there I was about to run Furmark and the very first thing that happened was my window turned into a black checkerboard pattern, and then the whole screen did that. He claimed it had never particularly done that before. The effect was very reminiscent of a VRAM issue though. Furmark itself strangely worked fine, and the GPU according to MSI Afterburner never went past 79C (Although I don't know of a way to monitor VRAM temps). Playing YouTube videos would blank the screen for a second when the video first loads, the screen would occasionally just freeze even when the computer is still continuing fine in the background, and during one of the games he was playing there was shimmering pixels and vertex explosions.

I tried flashing the BIOS, opening up the PC and cleaning everything out with air, including taking the card out and clearing out all the dust, and just to be safe also ran Memtest86+, Prime95, and a virus scan. All unsurprisingly had no effect.

If it's the solder I don't have the skills or equipment to fix that, looks like we might have to buy a replacement GPU. I was trying to see what options there would be for around $100 and it seems if we can get lucky we might be able to get a GTX 1060, at least for now until he can maybe afford a new GPU in 1-2 years. Would a 1060 be a good choice for around $100?
so with flashing my updated gop bios it's still the same? seems like gpu chip or vram is dying sadly... well if you dont use it anymore and have the budget might try to repair it, replacing the vram and reflowing the chip.

Also furmark is heavy, but OCCT is also heavy while also boosting the max freq.