Question Friends internet doesn't work with ethernet (Unidentified network and invalid ip config) but works fine with wireless (Through wifi extender)

May 30, 2022
This is the second time its happened

The first time it happened, It had the unidentified network and invalid ip configuration
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...valid-ip-configuration.3768952/#post-22737052
Tried these things from this post that I made a few months ago, nothing worked and then it eventually worked after 1.5 weeks.

Now its happening again and its been about 4 weeks now and it hasn't fixed, I told him to do network resets and what others said in the above post and some youtube guides and nothing worked.
Then I told him to use the wireless with his motherboard (MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi) and it works but has a 1.3 Mbps connection.

Show command output of
ipconfig /all
Did you follow suggestions in the linked topic?
Did you enable DHCP for ipv4?
Did you disable ipv6?
If you have multiple network adapters enabled, then you can't connect them all to same network or you'll get problems.
For example, if you have ethernet and wifi both enabled, you can't connect them both to same router.
Have only one enabled and disable the other.

Same goes also, if you have multiple wifi adapters.

May 30, 2022
Show command output of
ipconfig /all
Did you follow suggestions in the linked topic?
Did you enable DHCP for ipv4?
Did you disable ipv6?
If you have multiple network adapters enabled, then you can't connect them all to same network or you'll get problems.
For example, if you have ethernet and wifi both enabled, you can't connect them both to same router.
Have only one enabled and disable the other.
View: https://imgur.com/a/iTe1462

View: https://imgur.com/a/PNzxlD1

Disabling IPv6 didn't change anything.

Last edited:
You have ipv6 enabled on wifi adapter. Disable ipv6 on wifi.

If you want to connect through wired ethernet, then disable wifi adapter.

How is ethernet connected? Is it connected to router?
May be it's just connected to some switch, but there's no connection from switch to router?

May 30, 2022
You have ipv6 enabled on wifi adapter. Disable ipv6 on wifi.

If you want to connect through wired ethernet, then disable wifi adapter.

How is ethernet connected? Is it connected to router?
May be it's just connected to some switch, but there's no connection from switch to router?

Ethernet is the one that isn't working and its connected via the wifi extender (ik, its not very good from a wifi extender)
His pc connects to the main router (with wifi adapter) albeit with a much slower connection due to him being a bit far from it.

Should he disable the IPv6 on the wifi adapter or no as it works fine?

May 30, 2022
Get rid of ipv6 completely (unless there is some specific/known reason to use it).

Have you read user manual of Netgear PL1000 Wifi Extender?
Is it connected and configured properly?
Has it ever worked properly before?

Will try removing ipv6 completely
Yes
Yes
Its worked fine before until it happened last time (12ish weeks ago) and now this time.

So where is this extender, sitting right next to the pc ?

This pretty much accomplishes nothing if the wifi in the pc gets a poor signal then the extender will get a poor signal. So hooking a ethernet cable to extender just makes things more complex it does not make the wifi signal any better.

This can be caused by many things but I suspect the extender is not actually connected to the main router or the connection is so poor you do not get good traffic rates.

Not sure what to suggest if you have a long ethernet cable maybe move the extender closer to the router. That may also be a good first step, put the extender right next to the router and plug a pc into it and make sure everything works in the same room.

May 30, 2022

This pretty much accomplishes nothing if the wifi in the pc gets a poor signal then the extender will get a poor signal. So hooking a ethernet cable to extender just makes things more complex it does not make the wifi signal any better.

This can be caused by many things but I suspect the extender is not actually connected to the main router or the connection is so poor you do not get good traffic rates.

Not sure what to suggest if you have a long ethernet cable maybe move the extender closer to the router. That may also be a good first step, put the extender right next to the router and plug a pc into it and make sure everything works in the same room.

The extender has been tried in many different areas around his house with no change

That may also be a good first step, put the extender right next to the router and plug a pc into it and make sure everything works in the same room.

I will tell him to try that

May 30, 2022

Sorry for the late reply, my friend finally managed to get a technician down and turns out something was actually wrong with the cable going to his house.

I am surprised we got so side tracked into the wrong area talking about wifi extenders and dhcp.

This is why testing with a ethernet cable directly to the main router should always be the first test.

The standard testing of ping the router IP and ping a network ip like 8.8.8.8 should have quickly showed that the internet connection itself was having issues and there was no problem in the house with the pc or router.