[SOLVED] Friend's new build is having some major issues

Jan 24, 2019
My friend just bulit a new PC and is having problems but he sucks with computers so im trying to figure it out for him.

Specs are:
i7-8700K
MSI H370 Gaming Pro Carbon
16g G.Skill DDR4 2666
MSI GTX 1080
500W PSU
Kingston SSD
Windows 10

It boots into windows just fine but apparently has no drivers, like literally none. It can't detect when an ethernet cable is plugged in (the cable and network are working, we tested it) so we can't download any drivers. The device manager doesnt even list the NIC. The PC freezes when we try running the driver disk that came with the motherboard.

It just stopped displaying to the monitor as I was making this post.

Anyone experience anything like this? I've done some searching and it seems like no one has ever had this problem before.

Solution
First things first, try a different Ethernet cable. I know you said the cable is fine, but it could have a personal issue with the motherboard that's beyond our understanding. If it's the cable then you are stopping the computer from accessing the internet, which is where it gets the drivers from. Make sure you are plugging the cable into the port on your motherboard.

If it's not the cable, have a go at these solutions below that I've provided :)

*Try downloading the drivers (Nvidia, motherboard, chipset, CPU etc..) over the internet on another PC, then moving them to a flash drive and installing them on his build while in safe mode. This is the quickest and most likely to work. The disc that came with your motherboard has out-dated...

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
First things first, try a different Ethernet cable. I know you said the cable is fine, but it could have a personal issue with the motherboard that's beyond our understanding. If it's the cable then you are stopping the computer from accessing the internet, which is where it gets the drivers from. Make sure you are plugging the cable into the port on your motherboard.

If it's not the cable, have a go at these solutions below that I've provided :)

*Try downloading the drivers (Nvidia, motherboard, chipset, CPU etc..) over the internet on another PC, then moving them to a flash drive and installing them on his build while in safe mode. This is the quickest and most likely to work. The disc that came with your motherboard has out-dated drivers, so don't worry about that.

*This seems like a motherboard issue to me, and so you may need to flash the BIOS. I've had this problem when I bought my MSI motherboard a while ago. The way to do it varies per motherboard, but as a basic guide, you need to go to the motherboard's spec page, download the packages from there for the motherboard drivers, and then put them onto a flash drive (8GB recommended)DO NOT unzip the package. Then enter the BIOS, and find the M-flash function. Install the package from your flash drive. It is vital that while you are flashing the BIOS that you don't remove the flash drive or turn off the PC, as this could lead to catastrophic issues. Don't be scared by this though, as it is a fairly quick process.

*You could have disk, user, or OS corruption. Do a fresh install of windows onto the Kingston SSD after formatting it in the partition menu. Tutorials for this can be found all over the web and it is a fairly straight-forward procedure.

*Check the motherboard for POST beeps and flashing lights, these provide codes that can show you the cause of the issue. It could be an unstable system, but this is unlikely for your problem.

If all-else fails, I'm lost for solutions. You may have a faulty Ethernet port if you've gotten this far, and I'd request an RMA or try using a USB Wi-Fi dongle just to be sure. I'm certain somebody else has other resolutions for your friend's problem.

Best of luck! :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS