Question Friends PC freezes when he tries to play games (Ryzen 3600X)

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015
My friend just built a new system with 3rd gen Ryzen. It was cool while he was building it, but now it aint so hot. He's got some issue where if he tries to play some games (mostly the more intensive ones) his PC goes unresponsive and he needs to restart it. He's updated his Motherboards drivers, he's updated is CPU drivers and he's updated his GPU's drivers. We're at a loss. Please, help my mans.

He first lowered the Maximum Processor State to 70% and that fixed it for a while, then he got a new PSU and it started again. Then he updated his GPU drivers and it fixed it for some games.

Heres a link to his PC Part Picker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bralan/saved/#view=qVHn7P

He's already posted on the AMD forums. Here's what he said:

"I have a Ryzen 5 3600X, EVGA 2060 RTX, ASUS PRIME X470 Pro, 2x8GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz, and a Corsair CX750M. When I try to play games like Arma 3, Squad, sometimes Overwatch, my system will start to load the game and then freeze. Every time I try to launch these games, my hard drive (Toshiba 2TB @ 7200RPM) is nearly at 100% usage every time. The CPU has never gone above 30% while this happens. All the drivers are up to date and I have lowered the max processor state in the power settings. My disk usually shows 100% on startup so I doubt its the disk itself or else it would crash then. I've played Forza Horizon 4 while watching a 1080p60fps stream with no issues before. Any and all help will be appreciated greatly. "

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Try testing the RAM as freezes are often linked to that being faulty.
In the Windows Search bar next to the Start button type 'Memory' and you will see the Memory Diagnostic app listed.
Run it to test for any errors.
It takes about 5 minutes to complete on the normal test, not the intensive one which takes hours.

Check your file system for any errors by opening the Windows Command Prompt as administrator and typing sfc /scannow
Note the spacing in the command otherwise it will say command not recognised.

Also if he has anything overclocked at all then dial these back to default settings for now to try and get things stable.

Andy

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015
Try testing the RAM as freezes are often linked to that being faulty.
In the Windows Search bar next to the Start button type 'Memory' and you will see the Memory Diagnostic app listed.
Run it to test for any errors.
It takes about 5 minutes to complete on the normal test, not the intensive one which takes hours.

Check your file system for any errors by opening the Windows Command Prompt as administrator and typing sfc /scannow
Note the spacing in the command otherwise it will say command not recognised.

Also if he has anything overclocked at all then dial these back to default settings for now to try and get things stable.

Andy
He tested the ram, no problems there. I need to ask him about the cmd test.