Friend's pc is worse but runs games better

HalfDollar

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
So my friend has a worse CPU and GPU than me which are Amd a10-7870k and a 1050ti. My CPU and GPU are an i5-2400 and a 480rx 4gb. His pc runs games better though. Could the problem be ram? We have the same amount of GB of ram but his MHz is higher which is 2400MHz while my RAM's MHz is 1333.

theyeti87

Honorable
Your friend's PC could be using a lower resolution than what you use, giving it a boost in performance. He may have some video option within games set lower than yours. It could be a number of things.

What games are you running?

KyleADunn

Honorable

Yes, what games are you running? Are you both using hard drives, both using SSDs?

Which games, are we talking massivly different or just a little better?

Your 2nd gen i5 is starting to show its age so the newer a10 would be about on par with your i5 at this point.

Are you both running the same speed of hard drive?
How full is your drive, when is the last time you did defrag, last time you had a clean OS install?

HalfDollar

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
We ran GTA V at 150~ fps. We are both using HDDs but I am not sure what speed his HDD is. I asked him that and now am waiting for a reply. My HDD has more than half space used. It's also been a while since I've defragmented. Would that help?

KyleADunn

Honorable

Yeah, cleaning your hard drive up could help. Also if you're using a 5400rpm and he's using a 7200rpm or higher, it could make a big difference in a game like GTA V where you're constantly rendering open world.

Thats what I was thinking is if OP had 5400rpm and friend had 7200rpm drive.