mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

I am running a fresh install of XP Pro SP2. I performed an update today and since then my computer fails to work properly. Everything works fine until the desktop appears. It loads fully and then resets itself. Everything except the background image disappears for about a second and then reappers for about 4 seconds before repeating the process over and over again. If I click on my computer, system restore or any other program it just refreshes the screen. I have tried safe mode but the same thing happens. I was able to open Task manager and I could see that dwwin and explorer kept disappearing and reappearing in time with the desktop refreshing.

Can anyone offer any advice to how I can repair this without a reinstall.

Many thanks
mataus

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That seems a little to much for only windows update to do, though I wouldn't put it past it. Have you scanned for viruses or anything?
Check to make sure you have the latest drivers for everything. I had lots of old driver problems when I fist put on sp2, the latest windows update might have added to the incompatability.
Do you remember which updates you downloaded exactly? That might give us more clues as to what it might be.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Hey, I also updated windows today and the same thing begun to happen. There is no time to do anything since explorer keeps restarting every 3 seconds, except running programs which shortcuts i have in Object Dock program. I'll let u know if I figure out something.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CzeRt on 10/14/04 11:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
I tried everything i could think of. The only way i could see anything was being able to open notepad. i could search through various drives and files and run them, until explorer refreshed itself and finished the process. In the end i had to reinstall windows in another partition, gain access to my files in the admin login, copy anything across and the format and reinstall on the c: drive. it took a few hours, but I saved anything that hadn't been updated when it happened...

Hope this will work for anyone else

Brgds
Mataus

CzeRt

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
I was able to fix it, by opening a program that has file browse option and using it to uninstall SP2b, whitch i thought was causing this incompatibility poblem. Than I just donwloaded all updates including SP2 and eveything now works ok.