[SOLVED] From 3600X to 5600X what voltage?

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I currently have a 3600x that is undervolted at 1.1v core locked and soc at 1.08v locked and all CPU cores running at 4.2 ghz.... this way it draws 74ish watts and gets only up to 58C on a 360mm water cooler. When moving to a 5600x I ordered for $150 what should I clock it at to start? I dont like PBO it doesnt do well with undervolt and PBO 2 isnt on my motherboards firmware....

Solution
Yeah the more I looked at stuff the option might be "greyed" out currently cause I don't have a 5000 series processor in socket.... Do you know what menus/screen u have to change or go to on a rog board bios?
I have a Asus B550 TUF board but it might be similar. Start on the AITweaker screen...then PBO...then down a bit to Curve Optimizer.

PBO settings should be there but Curve Optimizer screens might be missing entirely, or greyed out, if you don't have a 5000 series processor. CO comes with PBO2, available only on 5000 series processors.

There's another screen in Advanced settings, AMD Overclocking and then into PBO again but I'm not sure of the path exactly. If you find it, it will work too but do all your settings in...
PBO2 on Zen 3 is different with the Curve Optimizer so ..... stock clock and voltage (set in AUTO) and PBO enabled with a Curve Optimizer undervolt. If done right, watch it boosting up around 4.9-5.0Ghz while gaming. You'll never get anywhere close to that in a fixed clock and be coolable.

i wont have PBO 2 tho.... theres a firmware that my board doesnt have
What motherboard do you have?

In any case, you'll have to update BIOS to one that supports a 5000 processor. Your best choice would the latest possible since it fixes a number of performance, stability and compatibility issues. If your board is a B350/B450/B550 or X370/X470/X570 board the new BIOS will give it PBO settings that implement PBO2 features, including curve optimizer, for Zen 4.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah, it does support the 5000 series.. The 4403 bios is the latest one (updated that a few weeks ago). Looking into it it might have it with updated chipset drivers but I thought I had those up to date.... When I get home from vacation I'll have to investigate. "Curve optimizer"? I'll mess with it I'm sure... Just looking for a "starting point" (I guess that's it?)

Yeah, it does support the 5000 series.. The 4403 bios is the latest one (updated that a few weeks ago). Looking into it it might have it with updated chipset drivers but I thought I had those up to date.... When I get home from vacation I'll have to investigate. "Curve optimizer"? I'll mess with it I'm sure... Just looking for a "starting point" (I guess that's it?)
All PBO settings, including Curve Optimizer, are in the BIOS. You just have to go into the right screens.

sobakowa19

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah the more I looked at stuff the option might be "greyed" out currently cause I don't have a 5000 series processor in socket.... Do you know what menus/screen u have to change or go to on a rog board bios?

I have a Asus B550 TUF board but it might be similar. Start on the AITweaker screen...then PBO...then down a bit to Curve Optimizer.

PBO settings should be there but Curve Optimizer screens might be missing entirely, or greyed out, if you don't have a 5000 series processor. CO comes with PBO2, available only on 5000 series processors.

There's another screen in Advanced settings, AMD Overclocking and then into PBO again but I'm not sure of the path exactly. If you find it, it will work too but do all your settings in one place only.

But go search YouTube, there are a lot of how-to's. Just look for 5800X though as it's similar to 5800X3d. Results and settings will differ but the process is the same. But then, don't ever use someone else's tweaked settings for overclocking/undervolting since every processor is peculiar even if identical models.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

Last edited:
Reactions: sobakowa19
Solution