[SOLVED] From 8pin to 24pin , to rtx 3070

Oct 24, 2020
I do not have much money at the moment and this is my computer, I want it to be for games.
And I want to upgrade in the future
So I want to buy an rtx 3070 video card and connect to a computer.

I have an oplex 5040 computer
With i7 6700 processor
16gb ram 1600hz (4gbx4)
Samsung 970 evo ssd
The board has an 8pin connection to the supply
I bought an adapter from 8pin to 24pin
And I added a vs650 power supply
I also replaced the case with a computer

He will not burn?
And how much will he utilize himself in percentages?

Thank you

Solution
I think you mean to say you bought a 24-pin to 8-pin adapter so you can use a standard ATX supply with the Dell board. I have done this before, though I made the adapter myself and it does work.

If you have also replaced the computer chassis to accommodate a larger GPU, also good. That neatly solves the two largest problems with using OEM motherboards.

i7-6700 will be a bottleneck to the GPU, but if you run a high enough resolution that won't matter too much. However, if you are targeting 1080p, then the RTX3070 is going to be super overkill and your CPU will not get the most out of the GPU. Talking maybe 30-40% of possible frame rate not reached from some of the numbers I have seen with the 3080.

In terms of GPU for the money, a...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think you mean to say you bought a 24-pin to 8-pin adapter so you can use a standard ATX supply with the Dell board. I have done this before, though I made the adapter myself and it does work.

If you have also replaced the computer chassis to accommodate a larger GPU, also good. That neatly solves the two largest problems with using OEM motherboards.

i7-6700 will be a bottleneck to the GPU, but if you run a high enough resolution that won't matter too much. However, if you are targeting 1080p, then the RTX3070 is going to be super overkill and your CPU will not get the most out of the GPU. Talking maybe 30-40% of possible frame rate not reached from some of the numbers I have seen with the 3080.

In terms of GPU for the money, a good choice. But I would strongly suggest considering a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM in the near future.

Solution