From AMD mobo and CPU to Intel... No system reinstall... Getting random crashes...

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I got a new motherboard(Gigabyte Z87-D3HP) and CPU(Haswell i5-4670) instead of my old Amd... I didnt want to reinstall my OS... so I didn't and it works fine most of the time, but I got two random crashes now in the last two weeks that I never got with my old setup. So, I expect this is caused by the new Hardware not cooperating with the drivers or something like that... even though 98% of the time the computer works perfectly well. Any suggestions of what I can do to fix this ? I would like to avoid reinstalling the OS.

In event viewer under Windows Logs/System I'm getting a few errors with different services I think the most relevant would be AMD FUEL not being able to start, it "doesnt respond in a timely fashion".

(The other services are the AODDriver4.2 service--can't find file specified, some atksgt service and lirsgt--can't verify digital signature)

(There is also some audit failures with the atksgt and lirsgt under the security tab

These errors show up when the system launches and they dont cause any immediate crashes.. (my computer was on for about 7 hours before the crash)

(When it crashes... it just freezes ... doesnt accept input... the first time it made a weird looping sound and the second time it was just quiet)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks ;)

tldr : Switch from Amd to Intel... no fresh OS install... works fine except for random infrequent crashes... Any suggestions ?

Solution
With major changes like that you could have no problems or a million, its just luck of the draw, but is most likely related to the re-use of the Windows install. On install Windows creates entries in the registry that specify your hardware, it is probably having issues tracking those entries down as the physical hardware has changed. Not much troubleshooting to perform before a fresh install.

chugot9218

Honorable
With major changes like that you could have no problems or a million, its just luck of the draw, but is most likely related to the re-use of the Windows install. On install Windows creates entries in the registry that specify your hardware, it is probably having issues tracking those entries down as the physical hardware has changed. Not much troubleshooting to perform before a fresh install.

Solution

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Yeah I was hoping to avoid getting a fresh OS install... I actually cleared out a whole partition for it but then tried running the OS I was using and it worked fine, i was surprised but didnt bother getting a new install...

Is there a way of manipulating the registry and fixing it? if that is the problem.

Also, I hate that luck of the draw thing... It's programmed hardware so it should behave in a controlled and predictive way xD And it should also be fixable...

Edit: also Im looking in the regitry and it seems to have all the updated info under HARDWARE/DESCRIPTION/SYSTEM with the names of the new CPU and motherboard :/

chugot9218

Honorable
There could be thousands of registry entries that would need updating and I imagine they are probably specific to different components of the MOBO. It's not really luck of the draw, the "controlled and predictive" way to successfully install Windows on a new model MOBO is to do a fresh install ;). If the new components were the exact same MOBO and CPU it would not be a problem.

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Alright well I guess I will see if I get the crashes again and if they are too bad/frequent I will get a fresh OS install.. thanks for the info ;)

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Standard VGA graphics adapter ... says that it cant verify the digital signature for the drivers required... I didnt change my GPU though

The Ethernet Controller also has a yellow (no drivers installed)
The SM Bus Controller(no drivers installed)
And the USB Controller(no drivers installed)

My internet works fine though and usb works (I know I didnt install the USB drivers.. I was gonna do that later but then never got round to it)

the vga adaptor is for the intel hd graphics. uninstall the driver, download the intel graphics drivers from here, and install them.

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Not sure if you linked me the worng thing... It says it's for laptop graphics drivers and for 2nd gen Intels with HD 3000 / 2000

I tried to find one that would fit what Ive got but there is thousands of download there... ;/

In any case I'm not using my CPU integrated graphics xD Ive got a Radeon 5800 series... and the device manager doesnt show a yellow thing next to it...

Edit: I found the drivers for my CPU's Graphics ... but I still don't use integrated ....

its a good start. it will address the first issue you listed. if you get more error codes let us know and we'll figure out the driver issue behind them.

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
All the errors that were in the Event Log are still there... I'm mainly worried about AMD FUEL though since it is responsible for the cpu and I have a new one which is intel... I'm wondering if it might interfere with the intels drivers....

uninstall it or disable it. its a service if i remember correctly. you should be able to disable it without any ill effects. hit the windows key, type services, click on the services option that pops up, scroll down to AMD Fuel, right click on it, go to properties. in properties, chose start-up type (disabled), then click the "stop" button to stop it. close out and you should be good.

in fact unless you have an AMD video card you probably should stop or disable all the services with an AMD name.

Maloney1212

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I'll do that.. and disable some other unneeded services while im at it thx ;)

I do have an Amd Graphics card so i'll be a bit careful...

I'm going on holiday so I wont have time but i'll clean up the comp when I get back and if I have any crashes that I cant fix i'll probably post back, or just reinstall the os. Thanks for your feedback ;)

TRENDING THREADS