from ATI to nvidia card.

lee

Hello

I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going to
have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
procedure for this.

TIA
-----
Lee.

Hawk

Good choice! First check Control Panel> Add/Remove programs for any
ATI installed software and un-install it. Then check Windows\Inf for
any ATI inf files and delete them. Then check Windows\System for any
files that begin with ATI and delete them. Then check for any ATI
folders and delete them. Reboot and skip any attempt to load drivers
for ATI. Now, when you check Device Manager your video adapter should
be standard VGA, not ATI 8500. If so, you can install the Nvidia
drivers. If not, do some more searches for ATI files and delete them,
reboot and check Device Manager, etc. I suppose you could also check
the registry, but the stuff I mentioned has always worked for me.

Regards, hawk

Lee wrote:
> Hello
>
> I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
> machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going to
> have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
> procedure for this.
>
> TIA
> -----
> Lee.

Tim

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
> machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going
to > have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
> procedure for this.

Got this from the ATI site - it's called the Catalyst Uninstaller. It always
worked for me. ...

This tool is used to delete all ATI related files from your system. This
includes ATI CATALYST software suite and any ATI Demos and/or Development
tools (i.e. ATI RenderMonkey)."
a.. Filename: cat-uninstaller.exe
b.. File Size: 300 KB
(Download time approximately 2 minutes at 28.8K.)
c.. Posted: 10/08/2003

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
> machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going
> have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
> procedure for this.
>
> TIA

In terms of speed and all round performance a full bore Radeon 8500 is the
equivalent of a Ti4600. On a 3Ghz processor, both will bench about 12,000 in
3DMark 2001 and 2700-2800 in 3DMark03. If you're switching for a performance
increase you won't get it. Both are DX8.1 also. Do some benching before and
after and check it out yourself when you stick that Nvidia card in. A Radeon
8500LE is the equivalent of a Ti4200.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

Add/Remove is good enough - I know from personal experience. Ive even
swapped the cards around without uninstalling drivers and seen no problems
on my W2Kpro +sp4 machine. I still have my ATI 9100 128mb knocking around
and a GF4ti4200 64mb in my PC. My 9100 is only 250/200 and I clock the GF4
at 275/550 and its certainly quicker. You will notice a perfomance increase
with the 4600 especially in OpenGL. Use the 40 series drivers - 44.03s are
good for me.

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
> machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going
> have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
> procedure for this.
>
> TIA
> -----
> Lee.

lee

Thanks all for the replies much appreciated.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:08:52 GMT, Lee <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>:>Hello
>:>
>:>I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
>:>machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going to
>:>have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
>:>procedure for this.
>:>
>:>TIA
>:>-----
>:>Lee.

-----
Lee.

lee

Augustus

I can't figure that one out. My ATI Rad 8500 has only 64mb ddr ram the
ti4600 has 128mb ddr ram, the ATI Rad 8500 has clocks of 275/275 and the
ti4600 has 300/325. I also forgot to mention the GF4 ti4600 is a Gainward
750/GXP Goldern Sample its very nice :)

Cheers.

On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:59:13 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote:

>:>
>:>"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>:>news:kc2ib0tqvqbk8mtnkjiqriqdnpgknt09i1@4ax.com...
>:>> Hello
>:>>
>:>> I currently have an ati 8500 64mb graphics card in my windows 2000 pro
>:>> machine i want to swap this out for a GF4 ti4600 but i am obviously going
>:>> have to uninstall ati's drivers first and was wondering what the best
>:>> procedure for this.
>:>>
>:>> TIA
>:>
>:>In terms of speed and all round performance a full bore Radeon 8500 is the
>:>equivalent of a Ti4600. On a 3Ghz processor, both will bench about 12,000 in
>:>3DMark 2001 and 2700-2800 in 3DMark03. If you're switching for a performance
>:>increase you won't get it. Both are DX8.1 also. Do some benching before and
>:>after and check it out yourself when you stick that Nvidia card in. A Radeon
>:>8500LE is the equivalent of a Ti4200.
>:>

-----
Lee.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Augustus
>
> I can't figure that one out. My ATI Rad 8500 has only 64mb ddr ram the
> ti4600 has 128mb ddr ram, the ATI Rad 8500 has clocks of 275/275 and the
> ti4600 has 300/325. I also forgot to mention the GF4 ti4600 is a Gainward
> 750/GXP Goldern Sample its very nice :)

It's not just about memory and GPU core speed. The physical amount of memory
has nothing to do with the speed either. A Radeon 8500 GPU has 4 pipelines,
processes 2 textures per cycle, just the same as the Ti4600. The Geforce4
Ti4600 has a slight increase in GPU/memory speeds, but that's not the whole
story. The 8500 has a more efficient core. In the same way that an Athlon
XP3200+ operating 2.2Ghz performs on par with a P4 operating a 3 Ghz.
They're both excellent cards, but like I said, don't expect a real
difference in performance there.

"Lee" <leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse
> On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:59:13 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote:

> >:>In terms of speed and all round performance a full bore Radeon 8500 is
the
> >:>equivalent of a Ti4600. On a 3Ghz processor, both will bench about
12,000 in
> >:>3DMark 2001 and 2700-2800 in 3DMark03. If you're switching for a
performance
> >:>increase you won't get it. Both are DX8.1 also. Do some benching before
and
> >:>after and check it out yourself when you stick that Nvidia card in. A
Radeon
> >:>8500LE is the equivalent of a Ti4200.
> >:>

> I can't figure that one out. My ATI Rad 8500 has only 64mb ddr ram the
> ti4600 has 128mb ddr ram, the ATI Rad 8500 has clocks of 275/275 and the
> ti4600 has 300/325. I also forgot to mention the GF4 ti4600 is a Gainward
> 750/GXP Goldern Sample its very nice :)

The point here is that ATI and nVidia had different approaches: nVidia went
after brute force acceleration of speed, while ATI used intelligent
optimizations and schemes, to make the GPU and RAM deliver more per clock
cycle.

A little bit like Intels P4 vs. AMD's Athlon.

If, for instance, ATI is able to compress and optimize textures, buffers
etc. more than nVidia, their cards could be able to make the same results,
the pictures you see on screen, without needing as much clock speed as
nVidia.

Therefore you can't only look at clock speeds, you have to look a benches to
see which card is the fastest in use.

Rgrds. Henrik

(P.S. Could I persuade you to reply _under_ the quote, as you can see, it is
easier to discuss further when you do that.)