News From Big Navi to Big Wheels? AMD Sells Mountain Bikes Now

Sep 5, 2020
JFC. As an amd user(cpu and gpu) and a serious xc MTBer I cannot contain myself. What <Mod Edit> ding bat in marketing thought,,hey we are on our game in cpus, doing well with GPU lets put our name on a bike thats actually dangerous. Holy <Mod Edit>.
Some cave dwelling kid is going to kill himself on that MTB if they venture outdoors.

Nice work on dropping your name to the bottom of credibility.
I have some letters to write..brb

Last edited by a moderator:

AdiMalikul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2018
No disc brakes on a $300 mountian bike? Budget mountian bike I found have disc brakes on it. Also, why is there a 1″ fork and no quick release? I understand AMD is not a bicycle company but, can't AMD do a bit of research on mountain bike?

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
No disc brakes on a $300 mountian bike? Budget mountian bike I found have disc brakes on it. Also, why is there a 1″ fork and no quick release? I understand AMD is not a bicycle company but, can't AMD do a bit of research on mountain bike?

The picture shows the brake cable from the handle bars goes directly down to the front brakes without going through the frame. The cable looks so tight if you turned the handle bars the cable would snap! What Genius thought this was a good picture to use for advertising?

ug8PLZunqoqcjdJmo7HXe9-650-80.png.webp

USAFRet

Titan
Since the front fork, wheel and brake should move with the handlebar, this shouldn't be an issue. ;)

It's when the handlebar goes one way and the front wheel goes another you have a problem, and your brake cable will be the least of them! :D
Until you want an extra 0.5" of handlebar height...lol

This was assembled by a typical walmart level assembly dude. I've seen worse.

"assembled by a typical walmart level assembly dude "

When I was a kid, I worked in a Montgomery Wards sporting goods department. Those guys are paid by bike, not hourly. So they knock them out as fast as possible. Like 5 to 6 bikes an hour.

When we got backed up with X-mas orders for bikes one year, I volunteered to build some of the bikes. The manager was disappointed it took me 30 minutes to build each bike. I told him, "because I do it correctly."

USAFRet

Titan
When I was a kid, I worked in a Montgomery Wards sporting goods department. Those guys are paid by bike, not hourly. So they knock them out as fast as possible. Like 5 to 6 bikes an hour.

When we got backed up with X-mas orders for bikes one year, I volunteered to build some of the bikes. The manager was disappointed it took me 30 minutes to build each bike. I told him, "because I do it correctly."
Exactly.
Some years ago, embarking on replacing the windows in my house.
I had never done it before.

So, off we go.
Proper size, removing the old. "This isn't so bad".

My daughters BF at the time worked for a local contractor. They also did windows.
Watching me shim, using the proper expanding foam to seal, etc, etc.

His comment: "Oh, we don't do all that"

"Exactly. That is why I'm doing this and not you idiots."

Nightseer

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Feels like the type of thing you do whenever you want press attention and have nothing good to announce, so you do something random enough to get coverage. I can't say anything about issues with bike, I am not into that, but this is just silly. Then again, AMD never was really good at marketing. One would think they would want to be more like nVidia in that, say whatever you want about nVidia, RTX30 announcement was spot on. No bikes or whatever necessary.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While generally a fan and long time user of AMD products, this seems like a "clever" marketing ploy that makes zero sense. I can't imagine how anyone in AMD PR thought this was a good idea.