[SOLVED] from Gigabyte RX 5500 XT to...?? what's the better upgrade? to many GPU out there...

lawrenzrat

Commendable
Jul 13, 2020
from Gigabyte RX 5500 XT to...?? what's the better upgrade? to many GPU out there...

I have ryzen 5 3500x, for MoBo the b450 aorus pro then the PSU is around 650 watts the the ram is 2x 8gb sticks 3200 mhz, and cooling, uhh should i go for liquid cooling or stay on air cooling?... probably gonna go for oc...

Solution
The rx5500xt is a new gpu.
even if its one of the slowest new gpus, its still new.

I would suggest not swapping it out until the new ones drop (around September probably)
As for everything else, what is "around 650 watts"?
is its 600 or 650 or 700? what brand is it from?

as for ram, do you need more? the speed is pretty good.
As for overclocking, 1. you need a solid psu for stability and wattage.
2. Air coolers are better than liquid coolers (not custom liquid cooling, but better than AIOs)
quieter, cheaper and perform better, but its not by a big margin, and AIOs look better.

I would suggest not swapping it out until the new ones drop (around September probably)

2. Air coolers are better than liquid coolers (not custom liquid cooling, but better than AIOs)
quieter, cheaper and perform better, but its not by a big margin, and AIOs look better.

Solution

lawrenzrat

Commendable
Jul 13, 2020

ohhh good point about the gpu being new. the PSU is corsair CV650, the ram is just a reference hehe not planing to buy higher coz my board will not support it.(right? hehe)

so about the coolers.. ill stay on air cooling then hehe

Coming from someone who has used both air and water cooling, your statement about air cooling vs water cooling is false, or at the very least misleading. Some air coolers are better than some water coolers and vice versa. Generally speaking, small AIOs are not going to work nearly as well as larger ones; a large AIO such as a 280 mm or a 360 mm will outperform most air coolers.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

What is wrong with your current card, and what are you expecting if you upgrade?

Also, the Corsair CV650, while an "it will do it" is not recommended, particularly when you get to higher powered GPUs.

See the first two links in my sig regarding the PSU aspect of things.

Coming from someone who has used both air and water cooling, your statement about air cooling vs water cooling is false, or at the very least misleading. Some air coolers are better than some water coolers and vice versa. Generally speaking, small AIOs are not going to work nearly as well as larger ones; a large AIO such as a 280 mm or a 360 mm will outperform most air coolers.
I guess i didnt explain myself

dollar for dollar, and top air cooler for top AIO air coolers win everytime.

the best air coolers (i.e, nh-d15, or similar from bequiet or deepcool)
would outperform most if not all 360mm AIOs.
while costing a cool amount less.

so will a mid range like a nh-u12s (or similar..) out perform a 240mm AIO
while costing again, much less

all while having much less noise.

What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

What is wrong with your current card, and what are you expecting if you upgrade?

Also, the Corsair CV650, while an "it will do it" is not recommended, particularly when you get to higher powered GPUs.

See the first two links in my sig regarding the PSU aspect of things.
this

TRENDING THREADS